Two files entitle My Documents -- different contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

I was going to transfer my data files from my old laptop with XP to my bew laptop with Vista.

All of my data files are in a file called My Data Files.

However, I just noticed that there are TWO of them.

One is in:
My Computer\Local disk C\Documents and Settings\Dave\My Documents\My Data Files

The other is is:
Desktop\My Documents\My Data Files

Each of the My Data Files folders have probably 50-60 subfiles and sub-sub files.

I thought this was no problem -- that the files were the same. However, as I did a few spot checks, I noticed that some of the files in one were not duplicated in the other and vice versa. How can I make sure that I transfer ALL of my files (obviously without having to manually open each and compare)? Why do I have two files like this?

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

Both are the same folder

But the Desktop\Mydocuments folder
May have some files from Documents and Settings\All users account (usually just shortcuts)

What to do:
Backup My Computer\Local disk C\Documents and Settings\Dave\My Documents\My Data Files
Also check for any other users attached to your system in Control Panel Users

Thanks kimsland. There is just Dave as the Administrator. But, why when I click on explorer are there 2 files instead of just one? Why do they make it complicated?

The "All Users" folder, seen under c:\documents and Settings\All Users has been created to allow New users (actually any user) access to program shortcuts, not just in the Dave folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back