Two routers, a hub, and a modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My roommate just bought himself a wireless-N Linksys router for his laptop, but it's hooked up to my desktop because that's where the modem is also hooked up to. I also have a 5-port Linksys network hub hooked to my desktop as well.

In order to have my own secure connection, is there a way to use his router or do I need to add another wireless router to the equation? I'm only using the WIFI for my Ipod Touch.

Thanks for any help that comes my way!

The hub are you calling hub as it might be a switch? What does it say on the front of the unit.

So do you have a hub, 2x routers and the modem correct?

First router would be DHCP - connected to your modem
Second router would be DHCP disabled and used as AP (wireless access point)
Connected from the First router via hard-wired cable to the second router.

It is a hub and not a switch.

Isn't there a way to use my roommates router to have two separate, secured network connections, so he has his own password and I have mine?

That hub is going to slow you both down. Switch is better to get. Well yes you can have that way. For wireless SSID JoeSmithNet (your friend would setup his own password) SSID tenniskinghtnet you would setup your own password.

SSID is the name of the device you're using to connect to. Got to give it a name.
It also needs a encryption passcode WPA2 AES is the best to use. passcode can be numbers or letters. Caps and no caps with numbers is the best way to go. Just got to remember what it is otherwise your screwed! You would have to start all over and reset the router until it release the admin interface. Passcode (password) this is needed otherwise you might put up a sign on the board on your dwelling saying you got free wireless internet everyone in the building can access it. This is why you need to use passcode.

My roommate just bought himself a wireless-N Linksys router for his laptop, but it's hooked up to my desktop because that's where the modem is also hooked up to. I also have a 5-port Linksys network hub hooked to my desktop as well.!
let's clarify the connections

sample#1
Code:
modem----X------YourSystem----LinkSys.hub---->roomate ??
or
sample#2
Code:
modem----X------LinkSys.hub---->roomate ??
         |
         +---- YourSystem
??

Where X is your WiFi device

Tipstir, those pics make sense, but is there any way to go in my roommate's router's setup page and create two separate, secure networks? Otherwise, I'll have to break down and buy a second router for my Ipod Touch.

Tipstir, those pics make sense, but is there any way to go in my roommate's router's setup page and create two separate, secure networks? Otherwise, I'll have to break down and buy a second router for my Ipod Touch.

is your roommate running DD-WRT firmware on the linksys router? Since DD-WRT has many options that might suite your needs. By-the-way which Linksys router model does he have?

Some routers configuration allows you to have Hot Spot (like you see in some cafes) and guest wi-fi mode where the guest can only access the internet (like for your itouch) no access to the network LAN (local area network) only the WAN (wide area network). If you had Bluetooth device (such as smart cell phone or media cell phone) then you could also access PAN (personal area network). Belkin N+ has such a feature for Guess mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back