Two Routers On One Network

By Punkid
Feb 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have an adsl modem with 4 ethernet ports and it does NOT have WiFi, we will call this Router A.....as Router A has no Wifi i bought another router which has wifi,4 ethernet LAN ports,1 WAN port and it is NOT A MODEM, we call this device Router B.

i have the network setup....i set the IP of router A to 192.168.1.1,ran an ethernet cable from it to Router B's WAN port and assigned it IP 192.168.1.2 to access internet, and set Router B's local IP to 192.168.0.1....Router A assigns IP 192.168.1.xxx whereas Router B assigns 192.168.0.xxx to the devices that connect to it.....so now,internet works in any way i connect to any of the routers,but file sharing does not work between the two routers. for example if i have one pc connected to one router and another pc connected to the other router,i cannot share files between them.....

what is the solution to this problem?
  2. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 543

i fixed my problem...i was connecting my Router A to Router B's WAN port.....now ive connected it to Router B's LAN port and disabled Router B's DHCP so that it only acts as a switch, its now working fine....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.