TechSpot

Ubisoft caught selling 'pirated' Assassin's Creed soundtrack?

By Matthew
Mar 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ubisoft has been accused of selling a torrented soundtrack of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Customers who preordered the "digital deluxe" edition of the title received various extras including the game's soundtrack. According to one customer, the music files that Ubisoft included with his game came from the popular BitTorrent tracker Demonoid.

Read the whole story

2. What a golden age we live in.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,414   +116

I've never said that here before... but this is either epic fail or epic win... can't still see clearly which one of this.

4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

Interesting.

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

heee heee heee ooops!

6. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 982   +123

7. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

I am sure when those DRM servers are closed the patch to play offline would be from torrents.Why bother creating a patch that already exists when the game was launched.

8. *facepalm*

9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

All companies are like this, blame piracy for their short comings, but only Ubisoft is stupid enough to get caught.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,964   +955

How would you go about "pirating" your own, (ostensibly copyrighted) sound track?

Coding MP-3 files of somebody else's music doesn't make you the owner.

Did I miss something?

Besides, "FLAC" isn't MP-3.

11. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

12. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Missing something?

Maybe I am missing something here or maybe I don't understand where the users name is showin up. . . But is seems to me that maybe the guy who encrypted the files was an insider employee who was just careless with leaving his name on both copies of files.

13. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

NOPE.

14. war59312

war59312 TS Member Posts: 78

The whole thing is just stupid.

DRM does NOT stop pirating, it only pisses off the honest & legitimate users!

Pirates just bypass the crap without too much effort, time and time again.

I just do not understand why companies are spending millions of $$$ on research and development time on this crap. They should be spending it on making the game better and providing better top notch tech support.

I say again, it's just stupid and a waste of effort (money).

15. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

FLAC takes up a LOT of space, so naturally these files were transcoded to MP3 to be distributed by Ubisoft. After being transcoded, the metatags were left untouched in the final product, which assign credit to the user from Demonoid.

"Piracy" is quite a dubious label for this situation since this is Ubisoft's own work; however, it makes it a little harder to cry foul when you give the same service you deride legitimacy by using it yourself. Ubisoft should be doing this in-house, not using Demonoid to download illegitimate copies of their own works.

This is less of a "Gotcha!" and more of "Laaaazy!" moment...

16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,964   +955

First, most intellectual property copyrights contain a provision that the content can't be modified or redistributed, so all legal remedies reside with Ubisoft.

And Second, it is entirely possible that Ubisoft was trolling "Demonoid", searching for infringed content.

Although these tactics seem bit amateurish and heavy handed, they certainly were effective in drawing out the infringing party. "Hey those MP-3s are my work"! (Well no, they're not, you're delusional)

17. I really do not see the problem here...If like me we all stuck to our guns and quit buying anything that Ubi.... produces then we would not be worrying about them stealing their own product ( funny actually ;-) I have not purchased one Ubi product since their DRM fiasco and that last abysmal release of the new Silent Hunter......Crap wrapped in a package that can only be used when they let me...No thanks.I will spend my time and money with elsewhere.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.