Ubuntu 10.04

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had created a bootable cd for ubuntu 10.04. Then i decided to install it on an old Hard disk using usb port. I did this with ubuntu 9.10 and I did not have any problems. This time though, I have a major problem. When I start my computer, if the external Hard Disk containing ubuntu software is not connected, my system does not boot and I get a GRUB error message. Ubuntu is basically forcing me to have the external drive connected when ever I boot my Lap Top. I don't want this. How can I fix this problem? Please help! I don't want to format my internal Hard Disk.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit ultimate

You don't want to use your external harddrive yet you installed your OS on it?
I assume that you want to boot into windows 7, but grub won't work if you don't have your external drive there.
All you need to do is overwrite grub with another bootloader on your original harddrive.

What bootloader do you want/does it matter?

As above really. The bootloader is looking for W7 and Ubuntu, and if the external drive isnt connected it won't boot as it will flag up an error.

A better solution would be to install it to a partition on your main hard drive. You really don't need much space to install and use linux. That way your not forever having to keep your external drive connected.

As above really. The bootloader is looking for W7 and Ubuntu, and if the external drive isnt connected it won't boot as it will flag up an error.
Actually I think it is on the external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back