TechSpot

Ubuntu 32-bit or 64-bit?

By mcmurphy12
Jan 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone. I am currently thinking about doing a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I am not sure whether to go with the 32-bit or 64-bit version, though. I run the 64-bit version of Windows, so does that mean I should install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

no; Linux distributions run nicely with 32bit

3. mcmurphy12

mcmurphy12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 93

I installed the 32-bit and everything is running smooth. Thanks, Jo.

4. 64 bit is the way to go these days, a lot of the old problems have been ironed out. Though it still loosely depends on how much RAM you've got. If you're only running on a about 1GB then it's probably not worth it.

5. jobeard

Windows NEEDS 64bit, but other systems run just fine on 32bit when they are lean-n-mean.
    Linux runs well in 32bit :wave:

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

I'm very pro-64-bit. I've had too many issues resulting from PAE and the OP appears to have 8 GB of RAM.

7. jobeard

that's just fine, but wanted to make the point that while Windows should now state a 64bit requirement (imo), there is none such for Linux. Issues like PAE are usually distribution specific.

8. mcmurphy12

mcmurphy12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 93

I do have 8 GB of RAM in my current setup, but I am just going to stick with the 32-bit for know. Windows will still be my primary OS, so I am not really worried about top performance for Ubuntu. Thanks everybody.

9. StreamRecorder

StreamRecorder TS Rookie

I used Ubuntu x32, but was happy to install x64. Didn't have any x64 specific problems with it yet

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.