Ubuntu 8.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

you use a 286

I am trying to download Ubuntu 8.10 onto my iBook so I don't have to deal with all the problems OS X gives me, but it won't download. I tried holding both c and the apple-option-shift-delete options, but no window shows up and it just continues booting as normal. It is not a problem with the CD, as I just downloaded it onto a desktop and it worked fine. Some help would really be nice as I have tried everything I can think of short of throwing it at the wall, and I really don,t want to have to deal with a macintosh opperrating system any more.

I would just like to clearly state what you have done already

1. Downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 (codenamed Intrepid Ibex) 698.8Meg
2. Burnt the image ISO to CD (ie Not just copied the ISO to CD)
3. Placed the now Bootable CD in the CD Drive
4. Restarted your computer and confirmed Bios settings set for CD as first start
5. Tried to start from the UBuntu disc, but the computer won't start with it

Are all those steps correct?

Please try the disc in another computer (although I expect it will work)
It could be a faulty CD Drive (I have seen them seemingly work, but bootup does not)
Or re-confirm the CD is definitely set for first startup device

Ok well if that CD drive boots other CDs (ie it's not a Master Slave Cable Select jumper issue)
Then it all comes down to the actual computer

Does it start other boot CDs?

By the way, I did read once (on one of the linux sites a while back) that certainn Bios revisions (or possibly computers themselves) may have issues with these Linux bootCDs (obviously this may be one of those :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back