Ubuntu 9.10 wireless disconnects after about 15 minutes

By markcoronado
Dec 5, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on a Acer Aspire 7535-5020 Laptop with a Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter.

This is a dual boot with Windows 7 & I have no problems staying connected with Win 7 but every time I boot into Ubuntu I loose the wireless connection after 10 minutes or so. The time varies on how long it stays connected but once it disconnects the only way to reconnect is to reboot & then it auto connects & goes thru the cycle again.
    If I connect via Ethernet I have no problem but this is a laptop so it would be nice to be able to use the wireless connection without having to keep on rebooting all the time.
    Needless to say I don't use Ubuntu very often for that reason.

I've read on other forums, even the official Ubuntu forum of others having the same problem but I have not found a solution.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this to happen?
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Your best form of aid is going to be the ubuntuforum.

From a quick check; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226678

I would suggest following the instructions in post 2 of this thread; it seemed to work for others.

Your wireless card is known for being problematic with Linux installs. It's probably not the news you want to hear, but maybe a good search on those forums will help you on this occasion.
  3. markcoronado

markcoronado Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks I'll check it out.
  4. I think that chip uses the ath9k driver which is included in the mainline kernel, it may be that a newer version of the driver than the one in your current kernel could resolve this, so upgrading to a newer kernel may be an option if all else fails.
  5. markcoronado

markcoronado Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I got it to work by updating Ubuntu to version 10.10 LTS.
    Hope this helps some others that are having this problem.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.