Ubuntu 9.10 wireless disconnects after about 15 minutes

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on a Acer Aspire 7535-5020 Laptop with a Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter.

This is a dual boot with Windows 7 & I have no problems staying connected with Win 7 but every time I boot into Ubuntu I loose the wireless connection after 10 minutes or so. The time varies on how long it stays connected but once it disconnects the only way to reconnect is to reboot & then it auto connects & goes thru the cycle again.
If I connect via Ethernet I have no problem but this is a laptop so it would be nice to be able to use the wireless connection without having to keep on rebooting all the time.
Needless to say I don't use Ubuntu very often for that reason.

I've read on other forums, even the official Ubuntu forum of others having the same problem but I have not found a solution.

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this to happen?

Your best form of aid is going to be the ubuntuforum.

From a quick check; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226678

I would suggest following the instructions in post 2 of this thread; it seemed to work for others.

Your wireless card is known for being problematic with Linux installs. It's probably not the news you want to hear, but maybe a good search on those forums will help you on this occasion.

I think that chip uses the ath9k driver which is included in the mainline kernel, it may be that a newer version of the driver than the one in your current kernel could resolve this, so upgrading to a newer kernel may be an option if all else fails.

Back