Ubuntu based distribution on a 4GB hard disk drive?

pyromaster114

Okay, so I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a 4GB hard disk drive... or some version of ubuntu... but it has to fit, installed, on a 4GB drive. More specifically, it's a flash disk drive that's connected through USB... but I don't suppose that actually matters much.

Anyone know of a good distribution of linux (preferably based on ubuntu as people I know seem to have less trouble using that one...) that will fit when installed on said 4GB flash disk drive?

Thanks. :)

Debian will be fine, and its the distro on which Ubuntu is based. I'd recommend you download the small CD, do a netinstall and manually install XFCE instead of using the default Gnome desktop environment.

Totally agree with above by Leeky, but also if space is major issue, Puppy Linux is really functional and only about 100MB on HDD? (y)

I have a 2GB CF that I'm not doing anything with, don't even have a camera that uses CF. So I've been toying with the idea of putting that in with an adapter into an old(ish) Celeron system (to run it like an IDE drive) and running a smaller distro on it.. I could have a mechanical HD attached too for additional space.

Sort of wish I didn't sell my Via C7 system to Rick several years ago. Could have had a nice low power PC :)

Back