Ubuntu desktop shifted down and to the right a bit

TorturedChaos

Well I loaded Ubuntu 10.4 on to one of the computers at work, and it runs very nicely - except the desktop is shifted down and to the right, and part of it is cut off. I found I can fix it by changing the resolution to 800x600 then back to 1024x768, but it only stays fixed until the screen goes to sleep, then I have to do it all over again.
But the most annoying part is the mouse doesn't click at the point of the arrow, it clicks down and to the right also compared to where its displaying it on the screen. So you have to move the point of your mouse up and to the left of an item to actually click on it. Its like Ubuntu is registering where the mouse is correctly, and where the items on the desktop SHOULD be, but displaying them shifted down and to the right a bit.

I did some searching on google, but didn't find a fix that worked for it.....

Anyone have any ideas??

The monitor should have an auto adjust feature, it probably just needs an auto-refresh for some reason.

I've found that has happened before (with a game in W7 actually), and after just hitting the auto-refresh on my Viewsonic it's perfect again.

I think that's all it is.

The monitor should have an auto adjust feature, it probably just needs an auto-refresh for some reason.

I've found that has happened before (with a game in W7 actually), and after just hitting the auto-refresh on my Viewsonic it's perfect again.

I think that's all it is.

That was the first thing I tried, but it doesn't make a difference.

I tried playing with the settings for it using xvidtune as recommended on a thread I found on google, but I get an error of unrecognized monitor when I run xvidtune from the terminal.

I'm just tossing this out there, don't know if it will help. But check the drivers.. you are probably running the default ones, but there are 'restricted' ones for nvidia cards. If you allow ubuntu to use those that might fix it.

Is this a CRT monitor or a LCD through VGA? (as opposed to dvi)

I'm just tossing this out there, don't know if it will help. But check the drivers.. you are probably running the default ones, but there are 'restricted' ones for nvidia cards. If you allow ubuntu to use those that might fix it.

Is this a CRT monitor or a LCD through VGA? (as opposed to dvi)

LCD via VGA. Its a ViewEra V152

How do I go about finding these restricted drivers?

It's either:

System > Preferences > Restricted drivers (pretty sure its this menu) or
System > Administration > Restricted drivers.

Forgive me for not being certain, I run Slackware these days, with Gnome GUI installed as an afterthought (Slacks default KDE is too foreign for me after using Gnome for years) and I'm yet to finish off many of the menu options so its truly representative of the Gnome I'm used to in Ubuntu. :D

The reason I asked about the setup is I think through VGA with an LCD there is some 'probing' issues in linux, something like when the OS 'probes' the monitor for what it is, things get reported perhaps improperly.

Well when I booted the computer up today there was a little PCI looking card with a lock over it on the upper panel next to the clock. Clicked on that and it installed the nVidia driver for me :p. I don't remember if it wasn't there yesterday, or if I just didn't notice it, but everything seems to be work just fine now.

Back