TechSpot

Ubuntu Edge smartphone is dead, but lower-end variants still in the cards

By Jos
Aug 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Canonical’s Indiegogo campaign to fund the development of an Ubuntu-based smartphone has come to a close and, as expected, it fell short of its ambitious goal -- $19 million short to be precise. But the company isn’t chalking this up...

Read more

2. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

That kind of stinks. I kinda wanted to see where this would go.

JC713 likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,921   +565

This whole enterprise was stinking from day one. With today's over-abundance of suppliers of phone parts, the budget for delivering such phone to the market should have never reached that kind of estimate. From the amount they were seeking, I suspect half of it would be spent on top execs flying on their private jets and gloating about a good finance campaign they pulled.

hahahanoobs likes this.
  4. It is very clearly any of new OS phone won't success. It's just too hard to enter the market with iOS and Android. Take a look at the Blackberry and Windows Phone 8. They are better and have more finance than Ubuntu Edge does, but they are very suggles to win over iOS and Android.

5. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +27

+1, Blackberry is on it's death bed, Microsoft's Windows Phone OS will survive and continue to slowly increase in market share with the loads of money Microsoft has at its disposal.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

If it had a Full HD screen I would be interested. But yeah, I would have liked to see this on the market.

RenGood08 likes this.
  7. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

agree with you there, mate.
    blackberry should ally now with Microsoft to create 'windows phone 8.1 black' (with customized blackberry ui and built-in apps) or join the android party if it pleases the company.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

That's as likely to happen as Google & Apple becoming partners then releasing an OS called 'AndroIOS'

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

I'm disappointed this project was stillborn. I'm an admirer of Mark Shuttleworth, he is after all a South African like me.

10. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

how about ANDiOS? :) (or ADiOS for that matter ? :) )
    there is no certainty in life just like the large Bank of England which collapsed after a trader did something wrong.
    android is here to stay on top, at least in the foreseeable future; apple will continue to 'lead' in the high-end segment.
    the question is what is blackberry's future? also, what will happen to Microsoft's windows phone OS?
    something's gotta give in the mobile world's 'eat or be eaten' environment.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Well said. What I see happening is that Android (for us normal folk & the masses) & Apple (for the idle rich & wannabe's) will remain at the top for some time yet and competition to each other, Blackberry will be quietly bought out by some entity and disappear (it'll be a pity).
    As for MS... the joker in the pack... I dunno but I wouldn't ever write them off.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.