Ubuntu Hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 1TB hard drive to upgrade my system. I first took out the old drive to just start with a fresh install of ubuntu on the new drive. I boot from the CD and get to the part where you partition the drive and nothing shows up. Just the partitioning tool and nothing in the window.

I boot from a windows xp disk and the hard drive shows up and I am able to partition. I dont install windows.

I put the old drive in as the master. I boot from the old hard drive with ubuntu on it. Go to Gparted to see if I can partition the new drive there but it does not show up.

I run sudo fdisk -l and it only shows the old hard drive.

I have no idea why ubuntu can't see the drive since it shows up in my BIOS and the Windows installer can see it.

That one honestly baffles me. I haven't looked up any other possible answers from the Ubuntu site yet, but one thing comes to mind: what if you were to try to install the leaner Xubuntu? With such a huge drive, Xubuntu could be a very good choice since it is leaner and faster than Ubuntu. My other thought is to download Ubuntu again and burn it to rule out something missed in the transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back