Ubuntu installation problems

Vegasplaya

I've had no end of problems while installing Ubuntu. I'll go through all the situations I've faced-

-Installed via USB flash drive due to the lack of a CD drive in new PC build
-Booted up through the USB drive just fine and got into Ubuntu while running off USB

Decided to mess with it for a while just off the thumb drive and try to run some benchmarks compatible with Linux such as Unigine's few and such. These .run files would come up in "gedit" (whatever the hell that is) and just tell me it cant run.

"gedit has not been able to detect the character coding".

Some guide said its possible I must active root priveleges so i opened console and attempted to run root, which told me to install Sudo, which gave me a message saying sudo couldn't be installed because it wasn't found.

After lack of success decided to install. "Hey maybe it just can't run it because it isn't installed"

-Went through installation process to find that none of my HDDs would show up
-Ended up having to take 2 of my Seagate drives out of Raid0 to have them appear, and my Samsung F3 won't show up at all while plugged into my sata6gbs
-Went through process again and successfully installed onto Seagate
-It forced restart, and prompted removal of installation media. I removed the USB
-Restarted.... and nothing. Can't boot from HDD

Now when I boot of the USB I can go into System and find the 160gb Seagate with Ubuntu clearly installed on it, but still can't boot off of it.

I seriously can't understand how such a shotty OS with so many compatibility issues is used by anyone on a daily basis.

Anyways, if anyone might divulge as to what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

I haven't the time to go through the rest of your problems, I suggest you register an account at 'buntu's official forums and get help there - try a properly constructed post detailing exactly that you did and what you're trying to achieve..

For a file with a ".run" extension you should run it as root from the terminal as follows:

Code:
cd /to/where/file/is/located
./nameoffile.sh

Make sure it's from a trusted source and you know what you're doing, as a shellscript running as root can do what it likes to your system.

Could you also confirm what hard disks you have currently installed, and what they're used for - e.g. Windows/Linux/data etc.

Setting up Linux with a RAID configuration can be problematic sometimes, and not something I have experience of. In these instances, google will come in handy for advice if your prepared to spend some time searching it.

It sounds like your bootloader isn't running at start up. What are you seeing happen (including any codes or descriptions) when POST completes and it tries to start the OS.

There are known issues with all Linux distrubtions, but I've been using Ubuntu for several years now, and in some respects its more complete than most are in my opinion. There is nothing shoddy about it - the majority of the errors are human created due in large part to lack of experience and understanding.

Can you confirm the method by which you installed Ubuntu onto your USB thumb drive, and can you also confirm you checked the downloaded ISO of Ubuntu to ensure it was 100% complete and error free.

It's likely that grub isn't even installed or that you've installed it to the wrong partition.

Try to attempt booting from your different drives and see if the grub menu appears.

If that doesn't help and you think the OS is installed and working, but unbootable, the best way to go about this is to boot the kenrel image using something like subergrubdisk and once you're in repair the bootloader.

'buntu may/not be shoddy, but this kind of bootloader problem is a common noob mistake.

As to the hard disks and controllers, it's possible that the hardware is unsupported. What version of 'buntu are you trying to install and what SATA controller/motherboard do you have?

My apologies for the late reply, I have not had much time lately.
I eventually figured everything out after a good amount of research and trial and error.

Firstly, Ubuntu does not support my RAID set up clearly, and also does not support my Sata6 ports.
After quite a bit of frustration with the usb method (Using the tools from Pendrivelinux.com) I simply switched to the CD method and installed just fine.
One of my problems I did know nothing about I'll admit was the fact that my BIOS was set to boot from two pieces of hardware, so it would never boot from what I wanted.
After all was through I still couldn't execute the .run, but discovered the check box in the properties allowing them to be executed -.-

So all in all I learned I don't know much of what I'm talking about.
-Marvel Sata6 not supported by linux
-Intel RAID driver not supported by linux
-Set BIOS properly
-Irritation leads to unintelligent posting

I never did find out what the problem with the USB installation was, but I'm guessing that it must not be supported either?

USB installation is fine, I use it all the time. It was probably a bad setup on the USB device, it happens sometimes. I highly recommend LiveLinuxCreater for making USB bootable medium - I've been using it for ages and its never let me down. Unetbootin is also highly recommended and used by others.

Support for SATA3 devices will be integrated into the kernel for the Ubuntu 11.04 build, due in April.

This is worth reading for information pertaining to Ubuntu and RAID: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

Back