TechSpot

Ubuntu installation?

By sai03
Jan 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. hie evey1..............

previous in my hard disk i had windows sp2 in ' c:' drive....................

so i loved to install ubuntu....so i formated with ubuntu 10.4..........i thought it would replace xp2 n install ubuntu in c drive ..........but it totally formatted my entire harddisk...means i lost the data which is in other drives namely (D, E, F)...........

I have very very important data n family data in my other drives.............pls pls tel me a solution how to get my entire data back..............

Thanxx !!!!
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

You aren't likely to be able to unfortunately.

The one shot you have is to install a recovery program, and then deep scan the entire hard disk, which should recover some files that haven't been overwritten already.

Have a read of this: https://www.linux.com/news/enterpri...s-after-you-accidentally-wipe-your-hard-drive

Without trying to sound harsh, this presses the reason why backups before any changes are crucial. It is a mistake my users new to Linux make, so you aren't alone. Hell, even I've accidently deleted important partitions in the past, but I've also always had regular backups. It's a chore to do them, but they're a life saver in situations like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.