Ubuntu is gone

circusboy01

Leeky & Caravel;
I owe you both a big thank you,and a big apology I no longer need to get my wireless card working,as I no longer have Umbuntu.I will get the wireless card working in the future. For now my Netgear stick will do just fine.

Will try to explain what happened to Umbuntu. I ran an HP hardware check. It check a bunch of stuff and they were working fine.One of the things it checked was the Hard Drive.After it was finished I had to restart my computer
When I started my computer in the past I had to choose between umbuntu and windows..This time i got "No such partisions" or words to that effect. I tried everything even Installing Umbuntu again.Nothing worked I finally had to reformat my hard drive
I took it back to like it came from the factory. I've been reinstalling things all day
In the future I'll probably install Umbuntu again. But only after I get my wireless card working Again thank you for all your help CB please forgive the misspelled words I haven't installed spell check yet

Haha, good old Windows likes to play around with certain important bits of the bootloader now and then. :haha:

Least your sorted (well nearly) and happy with the choice you've made either way, and gave it a try as well. :)

P.S. Its Ubuntu. :D

Your system probably has a vendor specific recovery partition. Doing what you did might have "fixed" it, which would entail overwriting the boot sector or at least the mbr. In view of this linux was probably not "gone" and was most likely recoverable, before your reinstallation. Better luck next time.

Haha, good old Windows likes to play around with certain important bits of the bootloader now and then. :haha:

Least your sorted (well nearly) and happy with the choice you've made either way, and gave it a try as well. :)

P.S. Its Ubuntu. :D

Thanks for understanding.
. I'm a member of another message board.Where I might have gotten a lecture on either messing with things i shouldn't or,how much time was wasted on me.
I might try Ubuntu (Don't know why I started adding the extra M.) again in the future.
But. Only after I get my wireless card working.So I'll have a signal strong enough to get online.Thanks again for all your help. CB

Your system probably has a vendor specific recovery partition. Doing what you did might have "fixed" it, which would entail overwriting the boot sector or at least the mbr. In view of this linux was probably not "gone" and was most likely recoverable, before your reinstallation. Better luck next time.

Thanks. The reply I sent to Leeky was for you too.I agree with you
. It fixed it by getting rid of the partitions.
Actually it was kind of a blessing in disguise.I had Ubuntu downloaded twice. Don't remember why.But it would have taken up disc space.
Anyway Thanks again CB

Thanks for understanding.
. I'm a member of another message board.Where I might have gotten a lecture on either messing with things i shouldn't or,how much time was wasted on me.

You won't see that here. Its my free time, and I'll divide it helping people however I choose - to be honest I can't understand why someone would lecture another person on the matter. If I wasn't prepared to help (like anyone could) I could have just not replied in the beginning. :)

I might try Ubuntu (Don't know why I started adding the extra M.) again in the future.
But. Only after I get my wireless card working.So I'll have a signal strong enough to get online.Thanks again for all your help. CB

You gave it a try - Least you know what your up against now, and you can speak from experience. Your immediately 90% better than the vast majority of those that slate Linux when they've never even used it.

Its not for everyone, but I do believe people should try it - the shoe may fit perfectly and it does offer real advantages over Windows in some areas.

Absolutely no worries, be sure to get in touch if you need more in the future. :)

Back