Ubuntu no load issue

lpmjames

so im coming to the conclusion that some windows updates have messed up my ubuntu boot files.. grub .. or whatever.. so here it is.. i installed ubuntu within windows like an application and used it with no problem for about two days.. now i switched back and forward between the two testing and downloading things.. i recieved a windows update this morning and did the update.. reset then loaded 7... no problems .. reset then tried to load Ubuntu and before grub showed after selecting it from the 7loader i get a blank screen and my comp resets... this happend before but i didnt think anything of it .. reinstalled ubuntu and now i get this situation again.. can someone help.. cause i really like Ubuntu and all the opensource available for it..

???hmm thought of something... so im in a dual partion on my 500gighdd and a backup 250gighdd my 500g is setup as follows:
c:\ 80g OS:xp
/\ -- boot location
d:\400g OS:7/ubuntu
.. do you think if i format xp out i will lose my boot files and have to reload with an intallation disk and will it fixmbr or fixboot.. properly.

Grub will be setup to offer all 3 installations at startup. Removing one of the other will only affect booting and cause you more problems.

So my head is clear on this:

You have one 500GB hard disk;
with
partition 1: 80GB ntfs for XP
partition 2: xxGB ntfs for Windows 7
Partition 3-4 xxGB for Linux and Linux SWAP.
e.g. all your operating systems are on the same physical hard disk?

If you really don't need XP then you could make things easier and remove it. But thats only if you don't need it - There is no point removing it just for the sake of it.

The easiest way of sorting it, is to boot the live cd to the desktop...

Open terminal and type the following:

Code:
sudo grub

Assuming the boot loader is located on your 1st partition of your 1st hard disk (your XP), type the following in the prompt:

Code:
root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

exit

Reboot the Live CD, and try and drop into your linux install at the grub screen.

sounds good leeky...almost right about my partition setup.. see i have 2 partitions on my 500g.. xp and 7 .. i installed Ubunutu within 7 like an application.. atleast thats how it (ubuntu installation) described it when i installed Ubuntu.. ... and i kinda dont need xp.. i keep it as a backup if 7 crashes or has issues.. but my only problem is this...i do believe that the boot files are on that partition with xp.. (xp=c: 7=d: and ubuntu=d:) .. im gonna try what you said but first.. this is basically just fixin my boot file for ubuntu correct..also im unsure as to where the bootloader (grub) for ubuntu is located.. how would i determin this..

If your keeping Linux, you need to use Grub to set as your boot loader.

Your Linux boot loader could well be located on either your XP, or your 7 partition. I'm not sure which it would have chosen, but it will likely be Windows XP.

The files for grub are located in the /boot/grub/ directory of your root drive. You are correct, this is fixing Ubuntu (but also sorting the ability to boot Windows as well).

sooo.... theoreticly if it doesnt work i would need to type:
sudo grub
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
exit
..???

Yes, on the condition:

Sda2 (hd0.1) is your partition for linux root. (e.g. 1st disk, 2nd partition)
sda1 (hd0.0) is where your mbr/grub boot loader is (1st disk, 1st partition (e.g. Windows partition).

so im running the my live usb right now and within the terminal i found that my grub was labeled grub-pc.. so i ended up having to install a new grub.. which i did.. then i get..

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
error 17: cannot mount selected partition
grub> exit
Error 27: unrecognized command

i dont get it man.. so im gonna restart.. check how windows loads and try to load ubuntu

What disk is your Windows 7 on? Its probably using the first partition of that disk then, not XPs.

If your finding it hard to get your head around, just re-install linux - It will sort it for you much quicker.

un installed ubuntu from within win7... was getting frustrated.. i searched my 2 hdd's internally from jumper to barcode and couldnt find grub.. like it was kidnapped.. so i uninstalled ubuntu and rebooted and cleaning twice.. Then i procedeed to format my media drive.. and replaced it a fresh ubuntu install... so now its..
xp = hd0,0
7 = hd0,1
Ubu = hd1,0
.. i could be wrong tho.. regardless.. thanks for your help.. can you show me a whay to the

That looks about right, assuming your first hard disk has XP/7 partitions, and your 2nd physical disk has Ubuntu.

I wouldn't install it through Windows though, in my experience it complicates matters.

So is it working now then?

funny chit leeky... so i got into it and downloaded updates and whatnot ...let it run all night while i slept.. this morning it tells me it wants to download about 265 additional updates.. after going through a few i notice its mostly security updates.. so i think.. after 20mins its done and i have to restart.. now i have:
a new ubuntu v.XXXXXX.24
and
my first one ubuntu v.XXXXXXX.21 ..
I DID NOTICE THE ISO DOWNLOAD/INSTALL WHEN REVIEWING but i thought it was just and update AND I DIDNT REVIEW IT.. LIKE AN *****.. now when i try to load either one it fails and is rebooted.. (green screen flicker then system reboots) .. also i updated my nVidia driver to the recomended one before the rest/update dl. ... i tried loading from the usb but i get errors from that and it just refuses to load anything but the install boot screen . TO THE NOTES I GO:
the errors i get are:
stdin: I/0 error
stdin: Error 0

/init: Line 7: cant open /dev/sr0; no medium found

[XX.XXXX] buffer 1/0 error on device fd0, logical block 0
[XX.XXXX] end request: 1/0 error, dev fd0, sector 0
/\__ this is through a serious of numbers counting up.. now i figured it was a memtest thing initially because i started with a USB on my first install that was without persistancy and that took forever with this same error countin up... so i formated the usb and redid the bootable usb thing.. but this time with 2g of persistancy and it was like boom 5mins to load with out the constant error message..

so now i am stuck no ubuntu load again on a fresh install just because i updated the chit damn ..i can load grub.. but it will not allow the: setup command .. but when i did:
root (hd0,1)
it says the filesystem is ext2
and
root (hd1,1)
is ntfs which i think is windows ..correct?

btw.. i set my boot order so my media drive (250g) was fist cause the windows loader (500g) wouldnt recognize it.. so inorder to load it i had to make it first in line to boot..

The Ubuntu 21 24 are kernels. Part of the updates include an updated kernel. Thats nothing to worry about.

Did you change the priorities of the hard disks after installing and setting up Grub?

stdin: I/0 error
stdin: Error 0

/init: Line 7: cant open /dev/sr0; no medium found

That sounds to me like an optical drive read error - Have you got the Ubuntu disk inserted when your trying to boot into Ubuntu/windows?

my ubuntu usb is in when this occurs when im trying to go into live mode .. also i think it was a driver issue ..after my last post i tried everything all over again... formated the drive.. but this time i followed your directions and downloaded the ubuntu updates first... now its been running since ... turned it off and on a few times after all updates updated.. booted win7 .. no problems there.. reset and started ubuntu .. no problems .. .

i did .. turned it off then tried again .. with the same result.. i have to plug an alternate keyboard in just to be able to switch in grub..

Thats a bit pants!

I can't say I've ever used Linux with a wireless keyboard (i prefer wired), but once synchronised it should behave like a USB keyboard on startup. Do you have it plugged into a usb hub, or the motherboards usb slots?

Unfortunately I don't have the answer myself, but I've had a little look (googled for you):

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...-select-boot-options-grub-boot-loader-303149/

It sort of confirms what I inititally thought, so worth checking the legacy support for USB again. That also suggests removing the internal card reader (if fitted), but I faill to see how that should make any credible difference unless it was causing a conflict.

The fact BIOS recognises it, and so does the actual installation shows its OK. If its working in BIOS it should be working in Grub though. Its a odd one, and hard to find information online for your exact problem.

still experimenting... unfortunately i have to have a hardwired keyboard connected so i can choose in grub...i dont get it but am checking out what u googled for me.. ty again leeky

so.. ive been busy... but besides that.. i loaded ubuntu today and i did updates ..after it all ran and rebooted grub loaded and with my secondary keyboard i pressed the right arrow.. this somehow loaded a command line and i typed sudo grub... it told me there was no grub menu or something and asked if i wanted to download it...(y/n=y) then after it did this.. i rebooted the system and loaded grub using the wireless keyboard... everything is fine now.. i can access everything with no problem now...

Back