Ubuntu removal?

Marty7n

i have one 40gb hard drive with unbuntu installed on it,how do i completely remove it and install my windows xp?i put in my windows xp and it will not allow it to auto run the cd??
any ideas or help on this matter?

You mean you cannot boot from the XP cd? Have you tried to boot from any other (bootable) cd, like the Ubuntu Live CD? You can also find a few solutions on booting from CDs here. If you are able to boot from other CDs but not the XP cd, maybe you have a bad disk?

Thats not an Ubuntu related problem then. Just sounds like your disk isn't bootable.

If you had a DOS floppy you could boot off that then enter something like this:
D:\i386\winnt.exe

D:\setup.exe should exist, but it won't run from a DOS prompt.

Just to check if the CD is ok; you could try booting up the computer with no HDD attached at all. That will presumably rule out the disc (at least).

I would try any other bootable cd to check if something's wrong with your computer, and try your XP disc on another computer (if possible).
And just in case: Remember that you have 8 seconds to press a key to boot from the XP cd, if you don't press anything it will just start from your hdd. And make sure the disk is in the right drive if you have several cd/dvd drives.

:D hahahahahahahahahahaha several cd drives good 1!
all sorted got a new 2TB hard drive to start from scratch with thanks!!! ;)

Good thing you got it sorted out.
I don't see why it's so funny with several cd drives, I admit that most computers today come with only 1 (or none), but I had 3 on one of my computers, I bought it with a CD reader, later I added a CD burner, and eventually a DVD reader/burner. But that's history now, anyways.

Back