Ubuntu/XP/7 tri-boot.. interested?

lpmjames

yea i did that on my ic7-g custom just about a week ago after completing the build over a month ago.. its nice.. i love it.... only issue is that ubuntu wont load the wireless driver.. annoying but i will figure it out.. 7 is the shhht.. im sure most of us agree.. also it wouldnt upgrade from xp of course.. {vista.. ******* vista} .. im new to the linux/ubuntu thing so any direction would be good.. also i started this thread mainly to get any feedback / advice in exploring ubuntu..
specs:
ic7-g motherboard
intel pentium 4 .. 2.8ghz
3gb ddr@160mhz
256 ati raedon x1050 + nvidia geForce 5500
488gb WDC ata device
NEC DVD+RW
Creative Audigy processor

This wireless?

.... only issue is that ubuntu wont load the wireless driver..
I don't know if it's changed but in Karmic Koala you need to set up the device first by clicking on the tower in the top right tool-bar. I thought that I was going to have huge difficulties using my Nokia mobile phone as the internet connection. I actually found that it worked better/faster than the windows suite/platform CD that came with the phone (PC suite from Nokia was very tardy at times)...

First you need to identify what you wireless device you have.

Second, if you haven't already, connect it to a network/ethernet cable and do updates. You then likely find the "restricted hardware" box appears and your wireless driver is there. Just follow the prompts to install the driver, reboot x, and your away with wireless. :D

Click the menu logo (its on the far left over the upper taskbar), and this opens up the menu for you. At the bottom of the menu is where you can install software.

In essence, the first steps I do with any Ubuntu install are:

1. Pull in all current updates and wireless/graphics drivers
  2. Edit my sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list) to open up all available software sources. I do this through gedit, via terminal to make life easier (you need root permissions to save the file. So fire up terminal and type the following first:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
    This command copies the sources.list file to sources.list.backup so if you make a mistake you have an original file. Copying in linux is simple,and worth doing before editing any file using the terminal. Then type
    Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    enter your username password, and it will open up the file. Any line that starts with # is commented out, and ignored. Remove the # from the start of the 4 or 5 lines of code towards the bottom (these start with #deb so remove just the #). You'll figure out which ones I mean, as they look very much the same as the already unmarked ones in the list. ;) Click save when your done, and close and it will return to the terminal. type:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    to update the sources list and make all software available to you. At this point you'll likely have some updates so complete them first.
  3. then Fire up terminal, and install the Ubuntu restricted extras pack. This includes the majority of restricted codecs (audio/vid), flash, java runtime, and other items needed to enable normal browsing etc. Install it with the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Insert your username password when instructed and it will install. (congrats on installing your first item of software via the terminal is due too. ;)
  4. Install any software I want/need via eithe software panel in menu, or via the terminal
  5. restart x and enjoy

'sudo' invokes root rights in Ubuntu. Anything you require admin/root rights for requires sudo. Ubuntu is different to other examples of linux in that you don't run a seperate account as 'root', you simply elevate your permissions to root as and when you require them. That said, elevating to root gives you the power to destroy things in seconds, so think before using it if your unsure.

All of the above can be achieved by using the graphical interface if required, but your best learning how to cope with terminal early on. :)

thanks Leeky for the quick tutorial.. getting on there in a few hours and will update the thread with results.. btw i have a dwl 520+ wireless card.. also i have the disk.. y cant it install from it in ubuntu

thanks Leeky for the quick tutorial.. getting on there in a few hours and will update the thread with results.. btw i have a dwl 520+ wireless card.. also i have the disk.. y cant it install from it in ubuntu

Most hardware disks contain Windows or Mac software, not linux. Though sometimes the software for linux can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

The restricted hardware drivers application will likely find it anyway.

What does it do?
Absolutely nothing aside from fancy compiz effects, which, are great but truly don't actually do anything.

Its absolutely no different to Windows in its ability to run software thats fundamentally useful to those that use it.

Linux is just as productive to me as my Windows 7 is.

i got it wired through the ethernet onboard now.. working great in linux.. exploring around.. reading hacking:the art of exploitation .. damn good book.. so ima update in a new thread later.. or this one if techspot keeps it alive.. holla

A couple of books I highly recommend if your serious about exploring everything Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has to offer:

Extremetech; Hacking Ubuntu ISBN: 978-0-470-10872-7
Linux pocket guide; Essential commands ISBN: 978-0-596-00628-0
Linux Phrasebook ISBN: 978-0-672-32838-1
Ubuntu Linux toolbox ISBN: 978-0-470-08293-5

All of which I own. The first and last books are especially useful. The 2nd and 3rd are directed at Linux generally, but are just as valuable when you want to use correct syntax, or aren't sure of a command. All 4 of these books have been instrumental in helping me.

You can learn a hell of a lot online, but sometimes you really could do with a book.

i will be lookin for these.. thanks for the suggestions.. i was looking into it and the options available are ridiculous, and abundant. I find Ubuntu to be highly useful..sorry kitty.. but to each his/her own.. currently im trying to install it as a virtual desktop and i seem to be running into an issue with that.. can someone help.. or should i start anew..

Back