UK book chain Waterstones strikes deal with Amazon to sell Kindle

By Leeky
May 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Struggling UK book seller Waterstones announced today that it has signed a commercial agreement with Amazon to offer customers Amazon's Kindle e-readers as well as e-book related services across its almost...

Read the whole story
  2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Leeky was there any mention other then an agreement? Is Amazon looking to buy Waterstones?
  3. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +97

The full statement is linked in the article Tygerstrike. I personally doubt Amazon would be interested in purchasing the book store chain, I think its more along the lines of the retailer trying to get with the times, and embrace e-readers instead of shunning them as would be typical for book stores.
  4. It's a strange move, effectively embracing something which could put them out of business. I think there will always be a place for real books, just like newspapers will probably never disappear completely. This does smack of desperation.

It's not really e-readers which are hitting sales at Waterstones, it's a combination of factors including, an increase in second hand book sales (at charity shops) brought on by the recession, studying moving away from the traditional high mark up text books to web based documentation - deteriorating standards of literacy among school leavers is also a big factor.

There's also the fact that, as with the music and film industries, publishers have been getting away with inflating the price of books to way in excess of what the average person is prepared to pay.
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Umm did they not remember what happened with Borders when they agreed to a deal with Amazon?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.