UK scientists working on low-cost fiber optic network, 40Gbps a reality

By Shawn Knight
Nov 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A team of scientists from Bangor, Wales are working with existing fiber optic technology in hopes of significantly boosting transfer speeds. They believe they've found a breakthrough that could result in broadband speeds up to 2,000 times faster than what's...

Read more
  2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 761   +178

Excellent. :devil:
    I remember when I was in college the best fiber at that time was the older fiber cable (thick single black cable) that could only be bent so far, like 120 degrees or something near there. Then, 2 years later...here are these little orange twin cables with 2 little ends that can be spooled like a CAT5 cable and plug right in.
  3. Excellent? nah.

as long as philippine ISPs are eating this (misspelled intentionally), it's just the same for us.

4g LTE speeds available to consumers:
    >10mbps
    unlimited downloads...until january 31, 2013
    after january 31, 2013, download cap at ~12-15gb for the budget 4g LTE.

currently, "wimax" speeds ~1mbps
    download cap ~15gb
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Looks like a ***** to splice them...
  5. r8bwp

r8bwp Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

Quick sell it to a foreign company, so that they can charge us extortionate ammounts of money to use it.
  6. I feel the need for speed... then comes the data caps ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.