UK study proves that playing video games doesn't lead to violent behavior

Polycount

Staff

Despite some politicians' belief that there's a correlation between violent crimes and video games, researchers throughout the world have proven time and time again that no such link exists.

To drive that point home in a way that has to be taken seriously, yet another study has reached the same conclusion.

The study in question contained a sample size of 1,004 British teens between age 14 and 15. Their legal guardians were also interviewed, likely to help eliminate biases from the equation. Half of the participants were female, and the other half were male.

So, how was the study conducted? A large portion of the data researchers gathered came from surveys answered by the participants themselves and their guardians.

For the former, teens involved in the study were asked to rate how strongly various statements -- such as "Given enough provocation, I may hit another person" -- apply to them after playing violent video games.

In the latter's case, guardians were asked to rate how common various behaviors among the teens in their care. Some of these behaviors included the bullying or harassment of other kids.

Despite researchers' former hypothesis that violent video games are "linearly and positively" related to "carer assessments of aggressive behavior" among teenagers, the results of these surveys (and other research contained in the study) proved the opposite.

Apparently, there is no evidence for a "critical tipping point" at which violent video game playtime fuels aggressive behavior. While this will certainly not prevent politicians and other interested parties from claiming otherwise in the future, it's nice to have this conclusion confirmed yet again.

Permalink to story.

How many more studies that have the same results do we need to see on this topic? It's become ridiculous.

And I'm with axiomatic13. I'm over 50, been playing video games since the very first Pong game showed up in 1973, and the the only time I show violent tendencies is when I can't open a beer fast enough and start swearing. :p

50-year-old gamer here. I was at the start and still gaming today. I've killed no one.... yet. :p
Same here, I'm only a couple of years younger then you and been gaming since the VIC-20 and I've never felt the need to attack anyone or blame any medium for the damage some people have. The moral majority love a scapegoat, it's easier then actually trying to fix those who are broken.

To even call these things "studies" is an insult to science in the first place. If it's not predictive, it's not science. If it's not falsifiable, it's not a scientific theory. Statistics isn't science, and polls aren't remotely scientific. This is like the Big Bang Theory at its worst - you cannot go back in time to falsify it, and you can't reproduce it in a lab. So it's not even a study at all, just a popularity report. At best.

The "motive" behind any future crime isn't anywhere nearly as important as the evidence. It's like the emergence of "hate crimes". It doesn't matter at all WHY someone does something evil, to the person who has been violated. It only matters that it happened at all. From "just following orders" to "hate", it's absolutely irrelevant except as a prosecution method. Given two people who could be the killer (for example), the one with a logical motivation to do the crime is more likely to be your dog than the one with not motivation. But that's still not enough to get a conviction on its own. It's just one element.

Facts don't matter to the haters... sure it's nice to get reinforcements every once in a while but in the end haters are going to hate. Video games create violent children, guns kill people, and eating utensils make people fat. This is just how the sheeple minds work and no amount of facts being shoved in their face is going to change their thought process.

Back