TechSpot

Ultrabook parts could cost PC makers as little as $475

By Shawn Knight
Aug 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Intel may have already cleared a potential roadblock recently reported regarding development of sub-$1,000 Ultrabooks. Citing notebook makers, DigiTimes now claims that Intel has produced a revised BOM (bill of…

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Something like this is just a recipe for disaster. I know they mean well, but setting this kind of artificial limit on something means that somewhere a corner will be cut, and you'll just end up with a bunch of crappy products that will all be inferior to the Mac.

3. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Agreed, gwailo. As soon as I saw this, my immediate thought was "well that'll break pretty easily." And I do wonder how thin is too thin for these people. I honestly would not trust putting this in my backpack...i'd want a hard cover case for it.

4. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

I dont see any reason to pay for a MacBook when these hit the shelves, especially if the price is a significant undercut.

5. I dont see a need to buy a mac at all.

6. magaman598

magaman598 TS Booster Posts: 275

I'd wax it and use it for sun bathing.

7. Intel needs to get out of it's monopolistic mindset of dictating to manufacturers what they can build, what screen sizes and form factors are allowed, etc. Intel and Microsoft killed the netbook (despite what the ipad-lovers claim) by hobbling them with arbitrary restrictions on things like screen size, memory capacity, which OS can be bundled, etc.

8. hahaha - wax it and use it for sunbathing.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.