Unable to access both partitions on external hard drive

Hi. I use a 1tb external hard drive to store music, photos and movies. I use it on my Imac, also on my Asus e-book. I see that the external hard drive is partitioned into two. How or why I don't know. What I do know is that the first part is now full, and I cant see the second part when plugged into the USB on either computer. Could anyone help me by suggesting how I can access the second 500gig? Id appreciate answers in plain English, I really dont understand more than the basics, and the clearer ans simpler the answers the more I will learn, and thanks to all those about to read this !

1. [LEFT]
    Back-up all your data on the first partition.​
    [/LEFT]
  2. [LEFT]
    Right click on "My computer" and click "manage".This should take you to the computer management screen.​
    [/LEFT]
  3. [LEFT]
    Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it.​
    [/LEFT]
  4. [LEFT]
    You should be able to see all the disc partitions, find your External HDD partitions.​
    [/LEFT]
  5. [LEFT]
    Right-Click on the 2nd partition and delete it.​
    [/LEFT]
  6. [LEFT]
    After that right click on your first partition and select the option to "Extend Partition"​
    [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
If you are confused, or need confirmation for anything please don't hesitate to ask.​
[/LEFT]

Back