TechSpot

Unable to access both partitions on external hard drive

By stevebill
Aug 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi. I use a 1tb external hard drive to store music, photos and movies. I use it on my Imac, also on my Asus e-book. I see that the external hard drive is partitioned into two. How or why I don't know. What I do know is that the first part is now full, and I cant see the second part when plugged into the USB on either computer. Could anyone help me by suggesting how I can access the second 500gig? Id appreciate answers in plain English, I really dont understand more than the basics, and the clearer ans simpler the answers the more I will learn, and thanks to all those about to read this !

2. sentrycube

sentrycube TS Member Posts: 20

1. Back-up all your data on the first partition.​
    2. Right click on "My computer" and click "manage".This should take you to the computer management screen.​
    3. Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it.​
    4. You should be able to see all the disc partitions, find your External HDD partitions.​
    5. Right-Click on the 2nd partition and delete it.​
    6. After that right click on your first partition and select the option to "Extend Partition"​

If you are confused, or need confirmation for anything please don't hesitate to ask.​

stevebill likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.