TechSpot

Unable to access Windows XP

By tashun
Feb 21, 2010
  1. Hey,
    My sister in law's computer won't access Windows XP,nor can I get it to go into safe mode(any of them).BSOD will appear for about 0.01,and then the system will boot back to OES startup.I have an install CD,but can't get it to boot directly from the disc,and it also flashes from OES startup,back to command prompts constantly.Its an older system Gateway....any help is highly appreciated.

P.S. How can I get it to Windows XP setup screen? Since its not booting directly from the disc.
    Thanks,

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

This is a PC and not a laptop, correct? If so try slaving the harddrive into another system and access the slaved harddrive from the main harddrive.

1. Run virus, malware, etc. scans.

2. Especially run harddrive diagnostics.

3. Back-up all important information.

* Perhaps someone with a better solution might come along.

3. tashun

tashun TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Windows

Thanks Route44,however the thing went crazy when I switched the order of the boot in the BIOS.Now the Caps,Scroll,and Number Locks lights are flashing,and I can't get in the system at all now. She doesn't have another computer because someone broke in and stole it,that's why she's working with the old one. I was using my laptop over there,and yes she has a desktop.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.