Unable to boot in to windows (booting loop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been unable to boot into windows normally, various safe modes and using the last known good configuration as well. Windows only gets as far as the windows xp splash screen before rebooting.

I have checked to make sure that it isn't anything hardware related (bad ram, power) because when I stick in another hdd with windowsxp on it, that boots up fine, no dramas. Strange thing is though when I boot up windows xp with the "bad" hdd the same thing happens and no matter what IDE channel whether its secondary or primary I put the "bad" hdd on, the same problems keeps occuring, windows rebooting before getting to the logon screen.

I've tried reinstalling xp with the installation cd but same problem happens only it freezes up to report the following error. Also trying to run chkdsk through the recovery console doesn't work either (doesn't get to the recovery console).

Technical Information

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7C7080C, 0xF7C70508, 0xF74161FC)

ntfs.sys - Address F74161FC base at F7409000 Date Stamp 41107eea

Or sometimes the error below

Technical Information

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902F8, 0xF8961810, 0xF8961510, 0xF83F1857)

ntfs.sys - Address F83F1857 base at F83E7000 Date Stamp 3b7dc5d0

I've tried booting up with ubcd and winpe and the same problem happens, loads the splash screen and reboots the computer. I've exhausted every avenue I can think off. If I can fix windows so that it can boot back up, great if not I'd like to be able to gain access to my files.

I'm running windows xp with sp2 and have a WD200JB hard drive. I've tried using the data lifeguard tools and they are reporting no errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I had the same problem, formatted in the only way i was able to NFTS(Quick) as the normal NFTS got stuck on 40%. A few days later, it started doing the loop at reboot again, had to format, now i have my pc on, and aint gonna restart it untill i find a solution to being unable to format 100%.

suggests an electrical short

Momentary interruption of power is a likely cause. Could be the power supply or the HDD. Test by replacement.

I've also seen this with a faulty CPU (cooked by overheating).

I took the HDD out of the machine it was in and put it into another computer with similar specs and the same thing occured so that rules out the power supply. If it is the hard drive, would a momentary interruption of power cause the hard drive to blue screen when trying to use the Windows recovery? (All other times it just reboots, including when I choose either other option in the windows recovery.)

another way...

i found another way to fix this problem, it worked for me

boot from your windows xp installation disk,
access the recovery console
type this into the console (without the quotation marks)

"chkdsk /r"

this will check your os for errors and the /r bit will repair them

took it ages to fix, but it didnt damage any of my files

it worked for me, but i just guessed half of it, dont blame me if i am missing some parts out, but it is basicly just chkdsk /r into the recovery console

btw - first ever post, hello people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back