TechSpot

Unable to boot monitor at boot up

By aeonearth
Aug 1, 2009
  1. Hi,
    I had this system which was working for a year, till now i had problem unable to make the monitor working.
    It is a similar problem with this thread a year back,

techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-106632-Monitor-Fails-to-Boot.html

Basically, my cpu is able to boot into windows, ( by hearing the sounds and so on ),
    however my monitor is in sleep mode.
    I cant access anything right from dos since i cant see anything.

I had tried replace VGA cable and monitor, but it didnt work.
    below is the spec of my computer.

19" samsung monitor
    Winfast PX 7600 GT (used a DVI > VGA convertor )
    AMD dual-core 64x2 3800+
    ASUS board, forgot wad is the model. ( No integrated graphic port )
    2 gig ram

Thanks
    Alan

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

The video card may be bad. Swap it out with another to test

3. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

How about any beeps? Typically you should hear [1] beep when starting your computer, have you noticed if there is any difference there? That may also help diagnose the issue ;) (Example: My first PC at one time had [3] beeps when I started it, which pointed to a bad graphics card-it wasn't really bad, it just came loose from the board during other upgrades, and I failed to notice right away).

4. aeonearth

aeonearth TS Rookie Topic Starter

regarding beep, its all fine.
    Im able to boot into windows, from the sound and network view from my another computer, its booting fine.
    Just the part of the monitor unable to see anything.

i had tried
    -Swap monitor
    -Changed VGA cable
    but it is no use.

Currently i suspecting is either the graphic card DVI port is faulty or the VGA>DVi convertor is at fault.

any idea if a graphic card's port is faulty, will the computer still be able to boot up? because i had never encountered such cases =/

THanks
    Alan

5. Tmagic650

"Any idea if a graphic card's port is faulty, will the computer still be able to boot up? Because I had never encountered such cases...

If a graphic card's port is faulty, the graphic card is considered BAD! You can try replacing the adapter, but the whole card would be best to replace

6. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

You probably must have already tried this, but anyway:- If your card has 2 monitor output ports, you could try switching between them. If you still don't have any luck then try plugging the monitor to the default output port on the mobo. If the monitor works, your card would then be the problem.

7. aeonearth

@ritwik - i had tried most of the variables which i could test so far.
    so far i could confirm tat my monitor isnt the source of all these problem since it still work well with my the other desktop =/

i gonna try replacing the adapter and test out my graphic card soon.
    this encounter sure work my head out ! haha

8. Tmagic650

"ASUS board, forgot wad is the model. ( No integrated graphic port )"...

Ritwik7;780570... No integrated graphic port, right?

Good luck aeonearth :)

9. aeonearth

haha, thanks guys.
    i'll update the board once i figure out what is the problem, meanwhile hope more peoples with similar encounter could share with me their experience

10. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

@ Tmagic650: Oops, my bad. Forgot that there was no integrated graphics port. :)

@ aeonearth: Since you've confirmed that the monitor is fine, my guess would be that the card's not working. Anyway, all the best. Let us know how it all works out. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.