Unable to boot up after XP CD repair

1902danny

Hello all

This is my first post.

I have visited the site many times looking for solutions to small problems in the past and been very impressed with the helpful information available. I now have what seems a more serious problem and hope that someone can advise me.

My problem started when I contacted Microsoft Support regarding a .NetFramework update problem. After many attempts to rectify my problem by email (trying unsuccessfully to remove .NetFramework then install Windows Installer 4.5 which also refused to start) I was given instructions to repair windows using the XP CD.

After carrying out the repair and the computer starting to boot up it got to the Windows XP screen and after approx 15-20 seconds a blue screen flashed up for milliseconds switched off and started to reboot and did the same again. I think it would have carried on for ever or till it did some serious damage so I stoppped it.
I was unable to read more than one word at a time on the blue screen.

I am now in a situation where I am unable to email to Microsoft. I have managed to get on the internet using a CD of freeware programs that includes a Mini XP but am unable to work out how to email using it.

Could someone suggest what I might try next. My computer is 5-6 years old now but still meets my requirements and although I had the update problems with .NetFramework it was working fine.

Things I have tried myself so far are removing memory cards and trying them individually, disconnected second hard drive, floppy drive and DVDRW. I have also
removed many programs (I think) using the Mini XP. I have also tried the XP repair again several times.

I am also unable to boot in safe mode?

My XP CD is SP1a my hard drive is 320gb will they be compatable?

Many thanks in anticipation
Danny

"My XP CD is SP1a my hard drive is 320gb will they be compatible?"...
Yes they are compatible. Format the hard drive before you start the XP install. The XP disc is very old and you will have to get online and update XP to Service Pack 3 and IE8. Windows Update may be tough to start though

Hi Tmagic650 and thanks for your reply.

I was hoping for a solution without a format and full install (I did not back up before this happened) If however that is the only course of action open to me I will have to go down that route.
Could I just ask your opinion on a couple of points please. 1, Would you partition the hard drive and put the operating system on its own partition and how many partitions ? 2, If the install goes according to plan, will I be able to install SP3 immediately or will I need to install any updates between SP1 and SP3 using eg Windows update?
Thanks again I really appreciate your advice.

No, evidently the hardware is old on this computer too. A fresh install is the only way to go now... How big is the hard drive? You could partition the drive, but why? You are still going to have to go through some extra steps to move from SP1 to SP3, and I am sure Windows Update will give you problems, but you can update the installer and validation software by enabling Windows Update during the fresh install. You can download and install IE8 manually after the OS install and the windows installer updates. Once IE8 is installed you should be able to run Windows Update normally. .Net Framework should be installed last, especially on older PC's. The .NET Framework install will take "forever", but it also takes "forever" on newer PC's :)

My hard drive is 320 GB. If you do not think it is worth doing I am quite happy to leave it as a single partition. I am only a novice and value your opinion.
Before starting I propose trying to rescue some of the things off my hard drive using the Mini XP I mentioned earlier in my thread. Then I will follow your suggestions.
When I get started, assuming all goes to plan can I ask, would you stick with the windows installer loaded on the CD (I think its 3.1) or would you update to the v4.5 bearing in mind that would not start before with me and microsoft told me to do the XP CD repair. Or do you think after the clean install 4.5 may be the better option?
Listening to your opinion I dont like the sound of what I may be up against when I get started but I have no option but to give it a try.
One last question regarding .NET Framework. When I get round to installig do I have to start with .NET Framework 1.0 or can I install a higher version eg v3.5 SP1 straight off.
Many thanks for you advice it has helped me a lot.

I have worked on many older computers starting with some being over 10 years old. I always start with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. If you can stay away from any .NET Framework updating until you get to SP2... I have never heard on mini XP. Installer 3.1 should be good enough to start

I did manage to start my computer and view the contents of my hard drive by doing a "parallel install of XP". Although it would not work following microsoft instructions and involved a bit of guess work (they said press enter when you get to a particular page but there was no enter option).
This did enable me to save some data but a lot had disappeared unfortunately.
After that I followed your instructions and did the reinstall.
All up and running again.
Did not encounter any problems at all, even windows update went very well.
Many many thanks again for all your help.

Back