Unable to connect to Internet; driver disk available (Dell Inspiron 710m)

Hi Everyone,

I have found a lot of posts on this topic, but none specific to my situation (I think). I re-installed Windows XP, and like many have had problems, I cannot connect to the internet. Upon looking in device manager, I am missing all of the 'other devices' (Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, something with modem and several others).. I know this is the cause of my problem, but I am wondering which of them on the driver disk I need to install to remedy this issue? I installed most of the drivers in the order it recommended, but some of them listed on the disk were not those mentioned, so I did not install them (there are two under Chipset, several under communications, etc.). I am certain the ones needed are on the disk (due to a call with Dell), but I opted out of the $150 one time support. Is there an issue with installing them if I do not need them? Do I need to restart after every one? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!! I would love to have the internet back!

Thanks,
Marty

Dell has all the drivers for the Inspiron 710m on their website HERE (you don't need to pay for a CD)

Look under Network category. Did you download the Broadcom driver?? (all the other network drivers are for different wireless cards)

Accessed internet through modem, but connect connect wireless

Hi,

Thank you so much for the help! I was able to pull the appropriate Broadcom driver from my drivers/utilities disk, and now am able to connect to the internet, but not wireless....!

Under device manager, I still have "?" next to Mass Storage Controller and Network Controller. When I right click on each of these to 'update driver', it cannot find it (even with my driver disk in). I thought it would also prompt seraching on the internet for it, but it is no longer doing that.

My challenge is finding the correct driver on either the disk I have or Dell's site since there are several to choose from. Right now the driver disk shows I have the Broadcom and the Intel (R) PRO/Wireless Network Connect Rev A08 installed, but there are two other applicable ones available under the Network Drivers (Dell_Wireless (US) WLAN Card Rev A09 and Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter Rev A13). I have tried downloading these too, but not sure it is working since they don't get check marks next to them.

Any additional help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Back