Unable to connect to the internet

Elliah

i was connected to a hotel network which functioned perfectly well until yesterday afternoon. I could only get "local only" access using both the ethernet connection and the wireless connection and the network was unidentified.
after much googling, i tried reseting the tcp/ip, flushdns, reset winsock, removed all saved networks and wireless networks.
using the ethernet cable, i am unable to connect to the router at all, getting the 169.x.x.x ip. i tested the connection using a live linux cd and the connection was stuck at "obtaining ip address". when i try to ping the router i get the message "ping transmit failed, error code 1231"
using wireless lan, i managed to connect to the router but the connection is hgihly unstable, dropping back to "local access only" intermittently. when i ping the router, i get extremely high packet loss of upwards of 74%, with the message "destination host unreachable" most of the time.
i'm running windows vista home basic, and the linux system i tested with was backtrack 3.
is this a problem with the hotel's router or my computer's connectivity?
this problem is only present on my computer, which is a dell inspiron 1420. all other computers and even my cellphone can connect to the hotel's network without any problems.

Even though this might not be of any help in solving the problem itself, but obviously there seems to be a problem with your computer, and not the hotel's network. If all the other computers and even your celluar phone could connect to the Internet, then the problem can be pretty much isolated to your computer alone.

yes - - this is a failure of the DHCP interface to find the router and return the IP configuration.

Please report your OS & SP level.

What firewall are you using? you need to allow
DNS & DHCP to and from any IP address

Back