Resolved Unable to copy and paste after virus/worm in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Kunzer

I have gotten my desktop home computer to a point I can start Windows XP and get to the internet. I have tried to run Malwarebytes but keep getting vlab... error in regards to version. I tried several times to remove and replace Malwarebytes but keep getting the error. Office Depot put SuperAntivirus on and it runs fine cleaning Adware etc.

Problem is that I want to get email and My Documents backed off the PC and then completely clean.

I saw other threads with same/similar problem - but also noted tech's caution to not use someone else's answers.

Please Help!

First time on TechSpot.
Please advise on best method to get response on thread.
How to get to techs for help. Thxs.

Welcome to TechSpot!

I haven't heard about copy and paste being affected by malware- I am also unaware of the legitimate program named SuperAntivirus Maybe that's SuperantiSpyware? Can you tell me please what Office Depot was doing with your computer?

What is vlab... error in regards to version

Please explain the problem more clearly because but if you can't copy and paste, how do you think you will get the logs to me if I have you run scans?
--------------------------------------------
If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.
--------------------------------
If you can't run Malwarebytes, Please download randmbam.exe

It will try to create random names and shortcuts for Malwarebytes Anti Malware(MBAM) if you have it installed already.

Once done, try running a scan again
------------------------------------
When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
========================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time. I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me. Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't follow directions given to someone else
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
Threads are closed after 5 days if there is no reply.

You are correct Superantispyware.
vlab is in regards to error from MWB that occurs when I try to run it. I tried thumb drive over from work laptop to re-install. Install is successful and I reboot. Did so several times. each time I get the same message vlab... (sorry I did not write is all down) indicating that there is a version issue.

I understand copy paste makes log posting an issue. I am writing in the forum from my work laptop.

I just completed a chkdsk /r/f and the system is back up but freezing, possibly because Comcast (my internet provider) ComcastAntiSpy.exe is running. OK TO CANCEL in task manager?

Should I use Windows add/remove program to get the programs off?
Right now all panels are staying on screen after I click OK, etc.

Office Depot question: On Monday PC was in continous boot and not able to start up. OD was able to put in a Vista disk and get chkdsk to run. They did what they could and called to say that they either could wipe the drive and restart or let me pick-up at no charge. I picked it up and I am trying to recover at least email and my documents.

Comcast provided Norton Suite and I used for back-ups - but I do not have confidence that I will ever be able to recover the operating suystem and attempt to recover those incremental back-ups at this point.

More specifics on MAM error:
Run-time error '372':
Failed to load control 'bbalgrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your system version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

I should stay in Safe Mode w/Networking - correct?

No, you don't need to be in Safe Mode with Networking for these preliminary scans. If you can access the internet, use Normal Mode. IF you cannot access the internet, then use SMwN
=====================================
Basic security is:
One antivirus program
One firewall
Two or more antimalware programs
You don't need to use the Task Manager to stop anything now and you do not need to uninstall anything now.
====================================
Please remove any Malwarebytes on your system now. Then use the following link and directions:

malwarebytesgc8.png

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from from HERE
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    [o] Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    [o] and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
    Note: on opening Notepad, click on Format> make sure Word Wrap is unchecked.
    [o] If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    [o] C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
You only run randmbam.exehttp://kixhelp.com/wr/files/mb/randmbam.exe if Malwarebytes has been downloaded to the system but won't scan. Try my link first. If you have a problem actually getting Malwarebytes downloaded (other than the update problem) I will give you different help.

You need to use the links and directions in the prelim thread I gave you.
=====================================http://kixhelp.com/wr/files/mb/randmbam.exe
Please describe exactly how you are trying to copy and paste.

4 ways to copy and paste
1. From Edit: Select all> Edit> Copy> Click on the screen where you want to paste then click on Edit> Paste
2. From your mouse or touchpad> Right click on the text you want to Copy> Click on Select All> Right click again> Select Copy
3. And the easiest of all: Highlight the text you want to Copy< Click on Control+C> Click anywhere on the screen you want to Paste> Click Control+V
4. To Copy to Word, you must open Word first then go through the Copy and Paste. These features are not available if Word isn't already open.
==============================================
I really don't have enough information from you to guide you. If OD sent the system back and something that use to work does not work now you should take up that issue with them.

Please give me some idea of you experience with the computer.

No problem with OD - they genuinely tried to help.

None of the Copy Paste methods work.
I was trying to copy files (email files from Outlook Express to an external HD.
All methods do not work. I also tried "Send-To" it does not work.

Unfortunately the system restore disks are no longer available from HP.

I am trying to get the data off before I select the onboard (D:) System Recovery.
HP say it should work since it comes up - but no guarantees.

I have run chkdsk /r/f multiple times.
Superantispyware several times
Unable to run Malwarebytes
Unable to run my System Mechanic.
Norton looked like it would reload - but when it was all finished the option is "empty" when I find it in "All Programs"

Trying to get email and data off the drive and then do system restore (hopefully it works)
Copy and Paste function corruption has me unable to move anything off.

I'm sure you had to pay for the help at OD. I repeat: If they returned the system to you with a function that no longer works, I suggest you contact them. There is nothing further I can do for you here. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back