Unable to copy folder from hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

I have a customers computer I am about to do a reformat on. Naturally I need to back up mainly their pictures, but preferrably the entire 'my documents' folder. What I am running into is an error box saying 'cannot copy'. I am thinking there is some sort of protection on the drive, but am unaware of how to find this out. Any suggestions?

Which version of Windows are you running? And what exactly is the error message.

It might just be a matter of access permissions. Are you logged on to an account with Admin rights?

You can try
1) Taking ownership of accounts/modifying permissions (see here)
2) Or just boot into Knoppix (an alternate operating system) and then copy the files See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

I have now scanned the hard drive for errors. scan came up as a pass with a thorough check. The exact message simply says 'Error copy.... then below that 'Cannot copy file.'
I am running windows XP Pro, and the operating system on the hard drive I'm attempting to copy from is winxp home. I thought accessing permissions was only done when you were prompted about administrator rights? Is this basically the same thing with the message I'm getting?

I should also mention I am reading this hard drive from a usb/ide adapter, so no, I am not logged in at all. Usually when it requires an admin for rights, it wont even let you look at the folders or open them, which I am able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back