TechSpot

Unable to download exe file

By srpremkumar
Jun 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have an account with Adrive for cloud storing of files. I have been uploading and downloading very big files (including exe files) regularly without any problem so far. Recently I uploaded a file 'gimp-help.exe' (about 23mb). When I tried to download it to my laptop, the download page of the Google Chrome showed the downloading process and when it was completed, and when I clicked on the file nothing happened. The file is not there in my download folder also. Can someone solve this mystery please?
    Premkumar

2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,026   +51

It's possible the file did download, but you will have to open 'Gimp' to see and use it.
    Even it is damaged or lost, you can read it online.
    http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/

3. srpremkumar

srpremkumar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

Thank you!
    Help online is always available for GIMP.
    But I wanted to install it inside GIMP for instant reference.
    Probably the file I downloaded was damaged.
    Thanks once again.
    Premkumar

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,668   +1,871

Google Chrome was your first mistake. (Yeah I know, that's argumentative).

Anyway, Firefox has a right click option in its download manager. "open containing folder". Using that you would instantly be able to locate any errant download.

(IDK if Chrome has this option, as I don't use it).

Plan "B", would be to also open the GIMP program folder itself, to see it the file self installed there.

A bad download will register as "0 Bytes" in its properties.

5. srpremkumar

srpremkumar TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

I found that the file which I could not download had some malware and my antivirus software had been quaratining that file. So I dropped the idea of installing the help files in the GIMP program. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Premkumar