TechSpot

Unable to Drag and Drop Files

By donkeyfly
Apr 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basically, recently, i haven't been able to drag and drop files. I have a bunch of files on my desktop and when I try and drag them to My Documents for instance, nothing happens. I can't move the files anyway. The only way i can get them off my desktop is by deleting them.

Whats the problem here?

I'm having alot of trouble with this thing lately :(

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Try it from a window

Start-->Run--> %userprofile%\Desktop

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

You may also find that using Windows Explorer is a good way to manipulate files and folders:

Right click on Start> Explore> click on the + sign to expand any section you need.

This will allow you to move around files and folders in all the various sections of the computer, within the limits of the operating system.

4. Mindstormer

Mindstormer TS Rookie Posts: 38

I had the same problem yesterday, I could click on them, and they would select, but they wouldn't pickup and drag to be moved at all. Luckily for me, restarting my system was all that was necessary to fix the problem.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

files or shortcuts installed via an Admin login can NOT be removed using an LUA account.

boot SAFE MODE and then explore all \documents & settings\-all-shown-logins-\Desktop

6. donkeyfly

donkeyfly TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's been a while and the problem was resolved a while back but it turned out that it was my mouse.

I replaced my mouse and everything started working back to normal.

Weird Huh?...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.