Unable to effectively edit profile

gbhall

Julio, the edit for 'about me' on the personal profile should be an edit box, surely, not a string. Cannot seem to add any extra text at all....

Not the problem, Kimsland. Try this...on editing ones own public profile by either way to get to there, the first line is 'biography' and as you see below

About gbhall
Biography
B.Sc Math Started computing 1966, career in Management Services, wound down to retirement, but didn't ! Networking with Novell 6.5 Programme professionally in Visual Foxpro, Visual basic, Fortran, datashare, RPG and lately Web development in ASP/JSP

Now this was (mostly) entered in the old forum days. The biography section today, however, when you click to edit it, gives a single line showing about 26 characters. Although I can move from beginning to end of the data as shown above, the edit line will not allow any extra characters.

What I am saying is this is clearly an edit for a string of fixed length, not an edit box for a memo field of arbitrary length.

Sorry I understand that Julio will help you here

But actually I don't understand what exactly the fault is :confused:

Just to help me...

System specs -> No (You don't want this - ok that's not it)

When you go to Edit, you cannot edit specific fields?
You cannot add to a specific field?
You cannot remove a specific field?
You want a button instead of a link?

I only ask this to learn for myself
Sometimes I miss the point, rewording it, sometimes helps

When I go to edit my personal profile, the first of the editable items is titled 'Biography'

I previously had two lines worth or about 200 characters here. The edit feature on this item of my profile does not show 200-odd characters in a nice big box, it shows it in a small one-line text field having about 26 characters. And it will not allow the addition of any more text at all.

Oh I see
You are talking about Word Wrap not wanted
Multiple lines preferred (as must have been before)
Biography box, not just being a single line box (as it presently is)

And the lines previously had ~ 200 characters (Now gone)
And you would like this fixed (addressed) because now the formatting does not look correct, and some info may be missing due to maximum length imposed

Presently you have a long text file of around 340 characters
Which is not what you want

I see.

You want more text fields allowed under Biography

I have asked Julio to have a look at this

I finally found where to change this. Turns out there's now a whole section within vBulletin's control panel to handle the profile fields.

I have now made the main profile field larger and it can accept up to 600 characters.

Thank you for bringing this up.

It works :D

I did:

Test line 1
Test line 2

Which came out on separate lines (after entering each line)
And here I was thinking that you needed multiple boxes !

gbhall, you will need to press "Enter" after each line, instead of using commas in a big long sentence.

I wonder what other hidden areas may be available :)

Thank you Julio, just Purr-fect now !

I'm curious, having being doing this sort of thing for 40 years. You say the field will accept 600 characters. Now that to me implies an underlying MySQL or SQL table, in which you have specified a field as VARCHAR(600). In Visual Foxpro, (with which I am more familiar), one would use a memo field instead of a character field, and there is 'only' a 2Gb limit on the size of such fields. The equivalent in MySQL is (or used to be) the BLOB field, with an optional maximum size.

What I am curious about is - has the BLOB field type become depreciated in SQL, or is it by common consent reserved for storing images, postscript, or pdf type data? My instinct would be that SQL handles text fields of variable length - with a maximum - in a different way such that they are 'as good as' a memo field and can be processed with equal efficiency as fixed length text can.

Any enlightenment you could offer on this point gratefully received.

It's just a standard multi-line box, don't over complicate Kim :)

BTW, you should add your system specs to your profile.

My specs ARE in my profile. Are they not visible to others, as I can certainly see them in the main screens when I click on my own name?

If this is something extra, then that is also new to current forum code, as there are would then be TWO places where the specs can be seen.
(1) on the personal profile, 'about me' tab
(2) somewhere else ?

If there is a somewhere else, then that is too confusing......

Please click on Yes in your Profile To this question:
Would you like to show other members your computer specs? Default is (NO) This will be displayed in your posts via a drop down menu for other members to view. Add your system specs in your usercp Edit options.

Arrh, more and more cross-talking !

to Julio: right, Kimsland does not show any specs, but does want other people to show theirs....ahem...kettle...black...
to Kimsland: I do not see any such question in my profile or edit profile pages, but to my fairly uncertain knowledge, they can see my specs.
to Julio: I just noticed some people do have a drop-down arrow (you do yourself), under your location, saying 'System specs', but I dont.
to Julio: why can other people put up comic faces in their posts, but I cannot? (I'm not moaning !)

Edit : I just found where the option to show specs can be found. Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to access that massive edit page from the normal user's interface, only by direct access with the link given in Kimsland post#2 above. But who cares, this site is getting borderline feature-crowded as it is ???

Right up the top of every forum page, you will see this:
24bvold.jpg

You can click on the small (edit) to get into the area to edit all your settings

Also, I now see your System Specs and dropdown arrow on your posts

Regarding my System Specs...
I'm not sure why it's needed for me (how ironic!)
I ask others to do this all the time, but personally I don't require support, actually I've never asked for support on my computer. (Except once I had a Zip extracting issue, you'd think it would be simple, but took Registry repairing to fix it.)

The specs are not used for support purposes only but to contribute to the tech community feeling.

Back