Unable to enter system password after factory default restore - Windows XP on Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm looking for just about any answers I can get here, because I'm not at a loss.

One of my coworkers accidentally deleted a network driver from one of the computers in our store, and it was no longer able to connect to the master computer or the internet. I created and administration password so I could get into admin settings to try to work with it that way, and no such luck. So I tried doing a system restore - even up to a month ago. None of the restores I tried to do worked at all, so I decided to do a restore to factory settings and reinstall windows if I had to. That went fine, but when I started the computer back up it was asking for the password I had set.

Enter, arrows, and the F1-12 keys were working fine, but the rest of the keyboard seems to not be responding anymore. So even though I can hit enter after entering the password, I can't actually type it in.

Is there any way I can get around this at all? I tried going into setup to disable the password, but it even asked for the password to enter setup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Talk to Dell on the Phone... not India, but the country in which you work... You may have to send it back to Dell in Texas... Do not do it online... you need to talk to somebody... and count on it taking hours.
There is no way around the problem, except through Dell.
We cannot help you on TechSpot, as a decision has been made to avoid dealing with password issues.
When you call Dell, they will want to know the history... when purchased... Original owner on the warranty... other details and will require that you be very specific.
I would deal with it as a repair/warranty issue... but your appeal may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back