Unable to format and install Windows XP

Krrish007

Good day everyone.
when I start my pc it nt loading windows it showing reboot and select proper boot device, so I decided to format and reinstall the same windows xp sp2, I changed boot sequence as 1st boot device to cdrom 2nd boot device to HDD and saved by presing f10 key then inserted windows xp cd into cdrom, it shows pres any key to boot from cd, I have not presd any key, it started to boot, it boots for sometime and then it shows pres enter to install windows,f3 to cancel setup, and other key (sorry I not remember) to repair windows. I presd enter to instal windows. As I pres enter it shows your hard disk is not detected check your hard disk is connected properly and it started to restart. Again I restarted and pres del button to view bios settings, when I pres del button, SATA-1 (ATAPI CD-ROM) is showing as detected and SATA-2 (HDD) as not detected. Then again I restarted pc, this time sata-1 and sata-2 both showing as detected, and I again started to boot from windows cd, when I insertd windows cd it shows pres any key to boot from cd. I have not presed any key and waited. It shows "disk error occured, pres ctrl+alt+del to restart" and sata-1 and sata-2 (specialy sata-2 hdd) showing sometimes detected and sometimes as not detected. Please anybody help me to solve this problem.

Its difficult for me to decipher your wording so I'm simply going to say its my understanding one is supposed to go into the boot up area, set the CD ROM as the first to boot from, put the CD in the CD ROM slot, shut the pc off, start it back up & follow the prompts.
I've only done it a couple times so I will let a more experienced person take over. Good luck.

What is the make and model of your pc please?

Sounds like maybe a bios setting? try resetting to defaults. Try the hard disk in ide mode.

Dear fimble,
I tried reseting bios to defaults but same problem stil exists. And how should I try hard disk in ide mode, I dont know procedure.

If you search in the various BIOS sections you may if you are lucky find a setting which will set your hard drive to IDE mode. Installing XP on newish hardware is often a considerable problem. Your installation disk doesn't have the drivers for current hardware and will fail to complete because it doesn't recognise your system with its SATA drives. The easiest solution is to have the required drivers saved to a floppy disk but few of us have such a drive these days.. It's possible to customise an installation disk to do the job by "streaming" or including the necessary drivers. This isn't easy for most folks. That's why virtual OS's like VMware Player Free are so popular for installing old Windows systems on recent computers.

In the bios, you can set your hard drives in "ide mode" for hassle-free installation of windows xp.
if you have a windows xp installer with slipstreamed sata/ahci drivers, you can set it in "ahci mode".
if you want to install windows vista/7/8, you can choose "ahci mode".

if you have already installed windows OS, it is possible to change "ide mode" to "ahci mode" and vice versa but will result in an unactivated windows OS.
(activation over the internet may fail; activation via telephone may be necessary)

Back