Unable to format my 2GB microSD

By edrbls
Feb 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I get "windows was unable to complete the format" error when I try to format my micro sd card on my computer. So I check everywhere in the drive and I find a folder that gives me "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error when I try to delete or access it. I can delete everything else but it reappears after I reinserted the drive. I tried to format with command prompt and I get "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable." I also treid Panasonic SDFormatter but I get "the memory card is write protected please release the write protect switch" which I did.This all happen after I tried to format it on my phone and connected it to my PC. I'm using windows xp pro build 2600 sp 3 and my micro sd card is a sandisk.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,409   +281

It could just be a bad sd card. They won't last forever.

What I would do (aside from what you've already done) is put the micro sd card in its full sd adapter (that came with it I'm sure) and then put that in a camera and format it there.
  3. edrbls

edrbls Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

My microSD isn't that old got it on november.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

Try formatting it in a friends computer. I had one here sitting for months that needed formatting, but it failed... I tried it in a neighbors PC and it formatted fine, who knows why ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.