Unable to hear from the hear external speakers

shiv

Hello friends
i am unable to get sound from the external speakers , when the speaker jack is connected to the cpu i hear sound from the internal speakers, how do i get my external speakers working

regards
Shiv

How about some more info about your system man?

[
Hi Jawshh,
Thanks for your response, here's the details about my system :

System Summary

Adapter Connected Yes
CPU
Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
System Memory
Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
Maximum Supported Memory 4.00 GB

Hard Drives
ST3160827AS ATA Device
Vendor Seagate

Supported Standards ATA/ATAPI-6, ATA/ATAPI-5, ATA/ATAPI-4, ATA

Optical Drives
HP DVD Writer 1260r ATA Device
Model Number HP DVD Writer 1260

Communications
Network Card - Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
MAC Address 00:14:85:ac:b0:07
Adapter Connected Yes
Adapter DHCP Enabled No
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Version 4.60.0.1, 10-13-2008

Processors
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (CPU:0)
Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Cores 1

Memory
System Memory
Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
Maximum Supported Memory 4.00 GB

Size 1.00 GB
1024 MB DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-5300 / 667 MHz)
Source SPD
Memory Size 1.00 GB
Memory Type DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-5300 / 667 MHz)

Motherboard
System Board
Manufacturer LENOVO
Product LENOVO
Chipset Intel i945G/GS/P/PL
Southbridge Intel 82801GB/GR (ICH7/ICH7R)
BIOS
Vendor LENOVO
Release Date 05/26/2006
BIOS Version String 2HKT12AUS
ROM Size 512.00 kB
SMBIOS
Version 2.3.4

Multimedia
Video Card - Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video Card Chip Type Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video Card Memory 256.00 MB
Video Card BIOS Intel Video BIOS
Driver Provider Intel Corporation
Driver Version 8.15.10.1930, 9-23-2009
Display - SAMTRON 55V (Generic PnP Monitor)
Mode 1024 x 768 (32-bit) (60 Hz)
Preferred Mode 800 x 600 (85 Hz)
Manufacturer Samsung
Serial Number HMEN703387
Manufacture Date Week 27, Year 2000
Signal Type Analog
Sound Card - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Driver Provider Analog Devices
Driver Version 5.12.1.5410, 3-28-2005

Operating System
Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (32-bit)

Can you say if you have had external speakers working before on this pc?
Can you go into the BIOS and check if the 'integrated audio' is 'enabled' (on).
If you have bought these speakers new, or never heard them working, can you plug them into a MP3 player and check if they amplify sound?
Use the small green 3.5mm plug from speakers into MP3 player (say ipod etc.)
Do you get amplified sound from the MP3 player?

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply,
earlier the old PC was loaded with windows XP, the speakers worked , the new system works on windows7 ultimate edition, the audio enable is on in the BIOS set up.

could be a sound card problem?

your valuable suggestion would help me alot

Thanks

No sound yet?

So you had an older pc with Windows XP, and the speakers worked.
Now you have a new pc, with Windows 7, and using the speakers from the old pc,
but now they don't work?
If these speakers are just stereo (2 speakers), with a green 3.5mm plug, and a mains adapter to power them, check you are plugging the green plug into the green socket on the back of the pc. Check that the mains adapter is plugged in.
Do you get an LED light on one of the speakers to show the power is on?
In your taskbar near to the time, do you see a speaker icon?
Does it have a red line through it?
Right click on the speaker icon; left click on 'playback devices'.
In the new box, do you see your speakers shown, with a green tick?
If not, right click on that speaker icon, choose 'Properties'.
In the 'General' tab, choose the option 'Use this device' (enable).
Now do your speakers work ?

did what you said, still the sound comes only from the internal speakers,

the green LED on the external speaker is on , the green plug is inserted in the green slot, still unable to trouble the problem

yes i can hear only from the internal speakers

Not sure why you are hearing sound from internal speaker, maybe you mean the bleep you hear when you boot the pc?
Can you go into 'Control Panel', then 'Hardware and sound', then 'Device Manager'.
( Or just type 'Device manager' into the 'Search' box.)
Do you see any Yellow signs next to the 'Sound video and game controllers' line?

If you do, right-click on the line with the yellow warning, and click on 'Update drivers'
See what happens after that.

hi mike

all the audio be it downloaded music, from the dvd, i hear from the internal speakers only, i did what you said, there are no yellow exclamation marks next to the sound device, the problem still persists

The problem likely is simply drivers. You didn't give the actual model # of your Lenovo computer, so I can't search for drivers for you. They probably don't have sound drivers for win 7. It was ok to upgrade windows on oem pcs in the win 95/98 days (and I ended up with win me, god help me), but I upgraded a laptop merely from xp to vista and Toshiba even had new sound drivers, but many sounds are all crackly and distorted. I went back to xp due to that and incredible slowness. I won't ever upgrade windows again; I'll just buy (build) a new pc.

Missing drivers?

This is a program that will tell you if any drivers are missing, and download them if you wish.
http://www.driveridentifier.com/
That was why I asked you to look in the Device manager to see if any were missing, although it's not the complete answer.
Windows 7 does have many drivers built-in, and the most popular sound driver for integrated audio, is Realtek AC 97, and Windows 7 does support that.
But your pc is different, so if you can download the 'driveridentifier' program, it may well find the missing sound file for you.

Seems like it's a Think Centre A52 8326-A41. My way won't work for you since it's old in computers years as some models came with windows 2000 and no drivers are present for win 7. Maybe mike1959's way will work for you. Sorry.

Bump! I am having the very same problem on a similar machine (IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre A52). Happy to hear from anyone of any solution.

There are drivers on the Lenovo site for the A52 to download, but they are dated 2006 and on, so they will be for XP and Vista (2007).
It's just possible some of them might work in '7', but older hardware (say 10 years) tends not to be supported with the current O/S.
Here am running Win 8.0 Pro on a 2006/2007 Dell Dimension 5150 with no problems, but if I move to Win 10 I might not have the same results, time will tell.
Have found some success by installing a Linux distro on older hardware, a 2008 Foxconn mainboard running the latest Linux Mint 17.1, everything works, and might be an option worth thinking about.

Ok this is how you fix the problem when you upgrade to windows 10 and cant hear music through your speakers. Go to sound icon bottom right next to the clock and right click and select troubleshoot sound problems. Select the radio button concerning the problem you have whether it be main speakers or headphones. Select next and then select fix problem ... it worked for me first time

Back