Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Tedster

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

The drive is recognized. I can use it as a secondary drive on a sata port, or I can use it as a usb drive. Windows 7 64bit simply won't install on it which really defeats the purpose of buying it.

Thanks. I have tried everything, but the OS simply won't intall. I will get formatting errors when trying to install WIN 7 64bit. Other than that it works fine as a secondary storage, but I really wasted my money as the purpose of the drive was to install an OS on it.

I have tried both IDE and AHCI modes. Neither work. Nothing is in raid. I have disconnected all other drives when installing the OS.

I'm grasping at straws on this one.

I think I remember reading somewhere that some motherboards will not boot to specific SATA ports. Are you using the same port that your regular drive boots to?

I was looking at the BIOS updates of your motherboard, some include upgrades to AHCI, try updating that

I've tried both. I tried to clone, but the SSD is too small. Then I tried multiple times for a fresh install and I keep getting formatting errors during the installation process. If I use the drive as a secondary drive it formats and works fine.

Yes. I attempted a normal install of Windows 7. It simply will not work. I am only able to use the drive as a secondary drive.

Yes, it is the right format. I am trying a normal format of the drive as if it were a regular hard disk.

These type of problems are interesting to me. I've seen Tedster around here for maybe 10 years, so I know he's not a newbie to seeing (if not experiencing himself) computer problems.

I had a terrible time, and eventually gave up, on cloning over a Win 8 install to another drive a month or two ago. Re-attempted it last week and did it easy. The problem was I was trying to clone Win 8 from a MBR drive to a GPT drive. That is something I should have figured out from the start.

Also around that time I had a hard time getting Win 8 installed to a drive when other drives were connected to the system. Seems Win 8 is more picky than 7 about that. Or maybe my old motherboard just isn't well liked by 8.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Guess my point is, in my experience with problems like these, it does help to ask. Even if a lot of the answers are things that are obvious things you've already tried. Because, maybe one of those obvious things will be something you overlooked.

A suggestion - just so my post isn't entirely worthless. Switch it from GPT to MBR or MBR to GPT after nuking the partition(s) in Disk Management and see if you can get it installed that way, with it being the only hard drive connected to the motherboard.

cliffordcooley for new drives, or fresh installs on drives without other partitions full of needed data, I try to always go in with unallocated space and let the OS install take care of partitioning (or use its partition manager during the first part of installation)

cliffordcooley for new drives, or fresh installs on drives without other partitions full of needed data, I try to always go in with unallocated space and let the OS install take care of partitioning (or use its partition manager during the first part of installation)
Same here with one exception, I configure my OS without the 100MB partition because I don't use Windows features that needs it.

Yes, I am aware of that. This is a clean install to the drive. I allow windows to format the drive, but when it attempts to format it, I get error. I am not quite sure what you mean by GPT and MBR, but this is just a regular installation like I would do on a regular hard disk.

Put the drive in a working XP/Vista/7 system and open Disk Management. If you right click on where it says Disk # there will be an option to convert to MBR or GPT, you can only do this afaik if it isn't partitioned at that point.

Right now I have the drive working as a secondary drive. I've given up on trying to install an OS on it. total waste of money. I did request tech help from gigabyte on this to see if it was a mobo issue.

Right now I have the drive working as a secondary drive. I've given up on trying to install an OS on it. total waste of money. I did request tech help from gigabyte on this to see if it was a mobo issue.
What is the error?

I *extremely highly doubt* the SSD is unable to be formatted to be used in Win7. There is some sort of prereq/setup issue with your hardware that is going wrong imho.

Have you tried deleting the drive in Disk Management before installing the OS?
Have you tried pre loading the AMD ACHI driver?

Back