Unable to install windows on new hard drive on HP laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

My sister's laptop had the hard drive go bad so I replaced it. I now cannot get windows to install on the new hard drive. I have installed windows many times before but this HP Pavilion dv5000 just won't take windows.

I have a couple of windows installation disks just not the one that came with this laptop. I have been able to install before like this and use the numbers off the sticker but after formatting I get a message saying that this is not a genuine windows disk and it will not install any further. My best install disk is for Dell, so I can't use it.

I really don't know what to do. I have always had problems with HP's. I have to fix it for her, I don't have a choice.

Any suggestions are very welcome. It came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I downloaded a bootable iso version of this but it was a cracked version and didn't ask for the serial numbers. I have legitimate serial numbers.

It would be ideal if you could get replacement media from HP (it will cost though). However, you can change the "illegal" key with the legal one on that downloaded iso after installing it, I am sure you can find the solution by searching it :)

can't install os

I had to replace the hard drive in my sisters hp pavilion dv5000 laptop and I can't get any windows version installed. I have installed os's before but these hp's are aggravating.

It originally came with windows media center 2005 but all the operating systems I download won't work. I know how to burn an iso image properly but I don't think these that I have downloaded are true oem isos because I keep getting the message that this is not a genuine installation disc.

It will format and try to start installing but won't fully install because of this problem.

I eventually get the message "NTLDR is missing" . Can anyone help? To order an original media center installation disc will cost around $100.00 and I am becoming unsure if that will work so I need some advice. Please help. Thanks in advance

I have installed non-oem versions of windows on several HP Pavilion Notebooks without any problem whatsoever (switching from OEM one) and frankly I too dislike HP now, poor quality and all. And to top of this all Microsoft's utter stupidity of not letting OEMs supply the installation media buyers; hence many people end up in this situation.

I need you to answer this --> Have you created one large partition or is it multiple partitions configuration?

I would advise you to delete all existing partitions; then create one large one during the windows installation process (you can always make more later on).

Also ensure that BIOS is correctly identifying the HDD; and lastly this issue has been known to be caused by a loose or faulty hdd data cable, so check that out as well.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back