TechSpot

Unable to install XP

By drworm73
Aug 16, 2008
  1. I am building a PC for my father, and I have run in to a snag. I have built PCs three times before, and have never had much more than a hiccup, but this is killing me. I am trying to install XP media edition on to a fresh hard drive, and I keep getting blocked. The first time I did this yesterday I got a blue screen with an error telling me that there was something wrong with my Hard Drive or I had a virus (obviously impossible). The Error was:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So I tried to reboot, and got stalled at the "Verifying DMI Pool..." step and could not ever get back in to windows install. I took the HD back to Frys today, and got it replaced with a new one. I brought it home, and got the same problem only I do not get stopped at the the "Verifying DMI Pool..." step any more. I just get to the blue screen and it gives me the same error. The version of XP media edition is a new OEM version.

HELP! All the components are new and pretty top of the line.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.