Unable to launch Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopu

Hello everyone,

I was using Internet Explorer 8 beta version for some days. Recently I uninstalled it and installed IE 7. Now the problem is, when I click on the IE icon it doesn't show up. Neither does it run in the process. I checked the task manager. i tried uninstalling IE from windows optional component and installing again. But still the same problem. When I click on the icon the cursor shows the wait sign for approximately less than one second, then nothing happens. Could anyone please help with this.

thank you in advance.

Hi,

First of all thanks. I looked into the Windows folder but i cannot find any ie7 icon. But i did unhide in the forlder options and i found two folders ie7 and ie8 i went inside the ie7 folder but the icon was of ie6 and indeed it launched the explorer but ie6. I have successfully installed ie7 but yet i cannot launch it. One more thing just now i ran the ccleaner and after it cleaned everything it shows a message ordinal 237 could not be located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll followed by a message Error loading InetCpl.cpl. the operating system cannot run %1. Is this anything related.

To create an IE7 quick launch button (icon) you find iexplore.exe in the ie7 folder, right click on it and click 'create shortcut'.

edit: the iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer 'should' be for IE7 if it installed right. That would 'normally' be the one to right click for icon creation. It is possible, because you had IE8 installed, that it would not overwrite the IE8 file when you re-installed IE7 because the IE8 is 'newer'. If that is the case, delete the iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and copy/paste one from the ie7 folder.

HI thanks,

I did as you said. I copied the iexplore.exe from the ie7 folder in to Program Files/Internet Explorer and it worked too. But the thing is that i am not getting the ie7. Instead i am launching ie6 with that exe. Now the browser is opening up but i wanted ie7 not ie6 what to do?

If you right click that iexplore.exe and look at Properties, version, is it '7.0.6000.16762'?

That is ie7.

If not, find one that is, then delete the one you have in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and put that one in there.

Then right click on it and create a shortcut and then cut and paste that shortcut to your desktop.

Hi thanks again,

I checked the iexplore.exe in the ie7 folder. But the version was 6. But I found an iexplore.exe of version 7 in a folder named "ie7 Updates" in windows folder. I copied it and pasted it in the program files. But the same thing, nothing happened but this time two command prompt windows appeared one after another and dissappeard but the explorer did not launch yet. Second time when i tried to click it those two windows did not appear but the icons in the folder and on the desk top flickerd and thats what happens when ever I click it. I also tried copying all the dlls and files which was along with it to the program files. Yet it didn't come up, nothing else happened when clicked on it. Any more solutions?

Here's what I want you to do:

Uninstall IE7 through Add/Remove Programs.

Reboot. Create a Desktop folder named IE7.

Go here; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en and download the IE7 installer to that Desktop folder.

Close IE6. Delete your desktop IE shortcut (icon).

Run the IE7 installer from the Desktop IE7 folder.

Look in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer for iesplore.exe, confirm that it is version 7.0.6000.16762, create a shortcut for it, and cut and paste that shortcut to the Desktop.

Go to the Desktop and click that shortcut (icon).

Reboot.

Hi,

IE is not listed in the add remove programs. Shall i uninstall it from the Add/Remove Windows component and try?

Delete your desktop IE shortcut (icon).
He's telling you to delete the shortcut, not the browser itself. Do a right click> delete on any existing shortcuts for IE6.

hi,

i have deleted all the shortcuts. Also tried uninstalling and reinstaling. Now even the ie6 is not there at all. In the windows folder there is ie7Updates folder in which there is ie7 icon but that also doesn't seem to work. Any idea. But i wonder why its not showing in the add remove program

In the windows folder there should be an ie7 folder AND an ie7updates folder. (you need 'show hidden files')

ya i did that all. i have written that in my previous posts. i think i need a complete washup and a fresh installation. Can you please guide me on that. And as you said there was a folder named ie7 and ie7Updates. In ie7 folder, the iexplore.exe version showed 6 so i uninstalled it through add remove program windows addtional component and deleted that folder and again installed that. Then after that now its only showing ie7Updates folder. But the iexplore.exe doesn't work yet. nothing happens when clicked on that.

I think you have been deleting executables and not shortcuts.

If you aren't sure what you are doing, don't do anything. Ask questions.

IF you followed my instructions earlier, you should have a Desktop folder called IE7 - run the installer in there again and then reboot.

Look in C:\Windows\IE7 folder for iexplore.exe. Check the version. It should be 7.

edit: Darn! Look in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer - that's where the NEW version 7 goes - the old 6 gets resident in the C:\Windows\IE7 folder for rollback I guess.

ya i did. But i deleted everything after following your instructions. Now i again installed ie7 as per your direction from the desktop folder IE7. But still it is getting installed. But yet after restart after the installation the browser is not comming atomatically as it used to before and even it is not responding when cliked. It refreshes the whole folder including the desktop and then nothing happens. No browser. I had taken a backup while deleting the folders and i even placed it where ever it was before installation. Yet the ie7 folder in windows has the exe of version 6 and that seems to work as well but no ie7 which is there in the program files. I have gone mad now. Totally confused. Please help.

Hi,

I just downloaded the ie8 beta 2 and installed. It worked perfect, no issues now. I guess there was some roll back problems. I cannot use the ie7 now but okay with using ie8. Any way I could not sort out what was the excat issue wiith ie7 but still thanks all.

One more thing can anyone tell if there is any issue using google toolbar with ie8. I had an error before when i had this previously installed. But now i dont want to make any errors so i want to confirm before installing it or want to be safe if it is not compatible.

You can install anything your heart desires - I just reported what I found with a quick Google.

It's your computer.

:)

I started having problems with IE also after uninstalling internet explorer V8. I also did all that you did and to no a veil nothing worked. I just don't use internet explorer. Internet explorer is a crucial part of the windows xp operating system so, my suggestion is for you to just not use IE and to download another browser. Don't mess with IE any longer (I did and ended up doing a whole new install of xp). I use firefox, slim, and avant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back