Unable to load Windows - system32 error

francisroyston

Hi

I have a HP laptop running Windows XP which will not load.
The error I get is:

System32\Drivers\SbAlg.sys

The screen is telling me I can attempt a repair by starting Windows Setup with the original Setup CD-Rom.
Only problem is I do not have a Setup CD-Rom (I do have 2 Recovery disks).

Please Help
Francis

The file quoted in the error message belongs to McAffee.

Can you get it into safe mode by tapping the F8 key as soon as you hit the power button.

If you can uninstall McAffee and then see if it will boot normally.

System 32 Error

Thanks for the info,
Unfortunately I am unable to access Windows in Safe Mode.
The laptop attempts to boot - you can hear it. But, then takes me to the same error message.

Try this guide. You need to follow the instruction "Recovering the system without using Windows" if this fails then try the next set of instructions.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-recovery

This process will return the PC to factory settings unless there is an option to repair the OS. This will delete all your files from the hard drive. If you need to save anything that is important you will need to remove the drive and connect it to another PC. This is best done with a desktop PC using a laptop hard drive adaptor connected to a spare internal hard drive connection.

System32 Error

Ok - Thanks for the link.

This is what happens:

'Recovering the System Without using Windows' (F10) -
On my machine F10 takes me to the Computer Setup Screen.
There is no Recovery Screen.
( I have tried other 'F' keys to see if I can find the Recovery Screen somewhere else - it's not there.)

Recovering the system using the Recovery Disks for Windows XP' (F1) -
On my Machine F1 takes me to the Computer Setup Screen (System Information) - I do not think this is what I need because there is no Boot option.
If I press F8 I get the Boot Device in the order of: Optical Disk Drive \ Notebook Hard Drive \ Network Controller.

Unfortunately non of these options seem to have a Recovery.

Thanks for the help
Francis

OK, use the F8 key to substitute the F1 key in order to get the laptop to boot from the CD drive by setting the CD drive to 1st in the boot order. This is following the instruction for "Recovering the system using the Recovery Disks for Windows XP"

If you are still stuck please give me the model name and number of the laptop and I'll see if I can get some more accurate instructions. You should be able to find this on the HP support site for your country of purchase.

System 32 Error

Hi
Just in case it is a faulty CD Drive on the laptop, I am going to try and borrow an External CD/DVD reader (hopefully tomorrow) and try that.
The Windows XP disks work ok on my other machine.

Thanks for all your help - and I will report back.
Francis

System 32 Error

Just an update and Thankyou.

Decided to order new HP Recovery Disks.
These have now been loaded and the laptop is back up and running.
It was not worth all the effort to try and recover the data because there was hardly any personal stuff worth worrying about.

£20 for recovery disks and key - happy bunny:wave:

Thanks
Francis

Back