TechSpot

Unable to mount location - 1TB WD External drive / Windows and Ubuntu

By fluffykitten
May 4, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been using my WD External drive/mybook as they call it with Ubuntu, until now recently connected it to my laptop running windows vista, I know it sucks but I just got this laptop and using it instead of my tower to save power and just run the laptop 24x7 pretty much and the tower when I need it and during the day I keep it on but anyway's. I copied a lot of files over to the external drive, disconnected it and pluged it back over to my laptop running windows and none of the files were shown, the files I just copied but the other stuff is still on it.

I get this message when reconnecting it to Ubuntu when trying to use it.

Have I damaged the drive, I hope not and hope to fix this problem to run on both OS.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,368   +302

you need to run CHKDSK /f from a windows command prompt
  3. ifergus

ifergus Newcomer, in training

What if you dont have windows?
  4. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

From your post above, you do have Windows though?

I would recommend you fix the error by doing the above in windows in the first instance.

Linux will happily read NTFS discs, so I'd imagine the problem is down to the disc being busy when you removed it from your windows OS. Chkdsk will hopefully sort the issue.
  5. balinjdl

balinjdl Newcomer, in training

ntfsfix and ntfs-3g

I found a fix on ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656025 that worked for me (Ubuntu 10.10 + external WD MyBook). Use ntfsfix and ntfs-3g as the post describes. Helped me. HTH.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,368   +302

yes ntfs-3g is a package that can be added to Linux and Mac OS distros when needed :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.