Unable to reinstall Windows XP ("STOP: c000021a" error)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to my problem with booting the laptop in my previous thread, finally I decided to reinstall Windows XP with the old Windows CD I have since many years ago. On the Windows Set Up screen, during the reinstallation process the page alerts me that it is not able to find some files on the CD - so I had to hit ESC in order to proceed the reinstallation. There are many files missing it seems so I had to press ESC many, many times.

After I finish the reinstallation, the laptop rebooted but now, once Windows XP restarted it only took me to a blue screen page with error message "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}" which says that the process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000) and that the system has been shut down.

At this point I have no option else to do but to turn off the laptop. Once I turned it on again, the Windows will attempt to reboot and shows an XP Set Up screen saying "Set Up Restarts" for a couple of seconds, and then will end up again at the blue screen c000021a error.

I have since got a new Windows XP CD but do not seem to be able to reinstall Windows again on my laptop - whatever I do now I can only get Windows to restart which would end up again at the Set Up Restarts screen, and then the blue screen error.

This error (i.e. c000021a) is caused by pending file-rename operations that are scheduled in the Windows registry, but somehow are not completed. According to MS it can also occur if the file that is described in the error message is corrupted (probably due to hardware issues I think).

The logical point to start with is check your HDD's health. Do you know what is the make/model of your notebook? If so go to the site of HDD manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility and thoroughly check your hard drive. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back