TechSpot

Unable To Reload Restore CD's On A Toshiba Notebook

By The Wheeler
Dec 18, 2004
  1. Hi All

I recently was given a Toshiba Satellite 1800 Series by the primary owner. The system had a fault. After I do the system restore with the original CD's on restart I get a system error messages saying "Seystem not installed properly run setup again". I did this with no change. I tried runnin XP Pro OEM and about 12% of the way of installing setup says cannot copy file "(name)"and then reboots and goes into a rebooting loop. Service depot says it might me Mainboard or CPU or both. Funny thing is that I can install and run Win98SE and WinME with no problems. Trouble is I want to run XP that came pre installed wit the system.

Anyone have any Suggestions?

TIA
    The Wheeler

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look at this thread it might just help you to get XP up and running again.

www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. towie964

towie964 TS Rookie

I have heard that toshiba and some other companies place a file on the hdd to prevent reloading of the software by a third party, I have seen a satelite with the hdd cleaned off completely and xp oem installed sucessfully but dont no how they cleaned it up

4. The Wheeler

The Wheeler TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello

I have formatted the drive so many times it must be squeeky clean. It won't even install the Toshiba rescue cd's. Go Figure.

The Wheeler

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.