TechSpot

Unable to remove ISO file extension

By jackgreat
Dec 10, 2008
  1. Hello Everyone,

I am using a Windows XP (SP3) pc. I installed winzip 12 which has associated itself with various file extensions (like zip, .z etc)

Now i have a image file (ISO) which opens in winzip as it has associated itself with ISO extension. I do not want any application to be associated with ISO.

First I opened winzip and went to it file extension properties, here I unchecked ISO and clicked ok. But it did not work. Then i tried to remove ISO from folder properties. I am prompted are you sure, then when i click yes nothing happens. I tried it on another extension and that was removed.

Thus I am puzzled why iso file extension is not getting removed.

If anyone can help me out it would be great.

Thanks,

JG

2. jackgreat

jackgreat TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Any help would be appreciated.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

Why does it bother you? It doesn't do any harm at all. Do you want another program to launch when you double-click an ISO file?

4. jackgreat

jackgreat TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

remove extension

Well I know its not doing any harm to my pc but as an end user if i do not want iso extention to remain (for whatever reasons) it should go.

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,420   +77

I cannot quite imaging why winzip should offer access to .iso fles, since they are bit-for-bit disk images, but yes, it does. It is however, a new feature, and doubtless the inability to remove it from the list of associations is a bug. You could take this up directly with winzip via contact us on the winzip website.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.