Unable to repair windows XP after system rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

The more I work with computers the more problems that seem to puzzle me and the more I realise that I don't know.
On this occasion I have just replaced a mobo, processor and memory on a machine. I have connected the hard drive and dvd-rom using a shared cable to the IDE socket on the board. On boot up both drives are found by the BIOS and dvd is set as first bootup drive. I loaded the windows disc to carry out a repair of windows as the machine would not boot into windows but the dvd spins up, the first boot up screen appears referring to checking system specification and then the screen goes blank and nothing else.
I ran WD lifeguard diagnostics which tell me the hard drive is fine, I have tried a different DVD rom which does the same as above, a few weeks ago I had replaced the PSU so asume its not that.
Have any of you wiser chaps than me any suggestions as to what may be going on here?

Many people have reported similar problems with XP Repair options. Can you format and reinstall? It may be easier than fighting it ;)

You cannot repair an XP install on a different motherboard/CPU... You must format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of XP. The XP install disk will do this for you. Just delete the existing partition and format the new one

Thanks for the replies, I would take issue with not being able to use repair install on a different mobo/cpu because I have been doing it for years without any problems.
At the moment I cannot do a format or reinstall because the system stops before it gets to the screen asking if I want to install windows or enter system recovery. All I am getting after I have hit a key to boot from the cd is the first screen with just a line across the top of the black screen and then it stops, it doesn;t get to the blue screens where it starts loading basic drivers.

If the "new" motherboard has a similar chipset, the hard drive from the old board might boot the system by itself after even 45 minutes, without trying a repair install at all...

"At the moment I cannot do a format or reinstall because the system stops before it gets to the screen asking if I want to install windows or enter system recovery"...

Sounds like you have a bad hard drive. Format it in another system then try installing it once more

Ok I finally got it sorted, I removed the drive and attached it to another pc and carried out a full chkdsk which fixed whatever the problem was and now it happily boots into windows without having to carry out a repair install.

Was the old motherboard similar to the new motherboard? I have successfully done this with similar Intel chipset motherboards

Ok I finally got it sorted, I removed the drive and attached it to another pc and carried out a full chkdsk which fixed whatever the problem was and now it happily boots into windows without having to carry out a repair install.

The problem was solved jnjgoss,
we were talking about successfully using a preinstalled OS hard drive booting on a new motherboard

"Sata drives are Master always on most hard drives"..

with SATA Master/Slave doesn't matter. Each drive is on its own connection

Just for information, I did check master/slave was set correctly and did try another cd-rom which incidently was a SATA drive so any problems with master/slave disappeared, this still did not resolve the problem.

Here you say you got it sorted, and then you say:
"Just for information, I did check master/slave was set correctly and did try another cd-rom which incidently was a SATA drive so any problems with master/slave disappeared, this still did not resolve the problem"...

Which is it Hodsocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back