TechSpot

unable to restart windows xp pro ... help!

By zubadoo
Nov 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently I have been unable to restart my computer .... when turning the computer on, I get to a screen that says:

We appolgize for the inconvienience, but Windows did not start successfully.

I then get a bunch of options such as:
    Safe mode
    Save mode with Networking
    Safe mode with command prompt
    Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Start windows normally

I have tried all of these and each one hangs after selecting it.

So, unsure what the problem was, I removed my hard drive and connected it as an external drive to a friend's computer. By doing this I am able to access some of the files (other user), but not my own. When I try to access my folder, I get an "access is denied" message. I think this is due to the way I configured the security settings or maybe because I am accessing this drive through another computer.

Is there any way to address the first issue (unable to reboot) or to get into safe mode? Could this be a registry issue? If I could get into safe mode then I could activate an older (working) copy of the registry maybe.
    or
    Is there a way to reset the security settings on the drive so that I can pull off all my files and reformat the drive?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Get your friend to run scandisk on your hard drive!!! That may help!!!!
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,490   +292

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.