Unable to share the Internet from a laptop through a router

Hi Everyone

I have a laptop with Windows 7 installed, using USB 3G device connect though the Internet. The problem is I have 3 machines and a spare router that I want to share the Internet.

Can you please advise how to share the internet from a laptop through a router ?

Hello! Sadly, for all intents and purposes, it just doesn't work like that. I'm not saying it's impossible, because I have read how techies have made this happen - but it requires an insane amount of configuration, 3rd party software, a little programming, and a good grasp of linux. The router has to have the internet connection to share out to other computers. Go and get a wifi hotspot instead of a 3G USB device. The wifi hotspot, depending on the provider, should support up to 5+ connections. Another option is the see what ISPs are in your area, get service at your residence, then you could use the router. Hope this helps!

Hi Everyone

I have a laptop with Windows 7 installed, using USB 3G device connect though the Internet. The problem is I have 3 machines and a spare router that I want to share the Internet.

Can you please advise how to share the internet from a laptop through a router ?

In what I understood, you just want to share internet access of your laptop within your local area network (devices connected to your router) right?

You need to:
1. Disable DHCP server service of your router.
2. Enable Internet Connection Sharing of your laptop with internet access. Usually you would get an IP address of 192.168.0.1.
3. Make sure all other network devices are configure to obtain IP address automatically. Clients would get an IP address of 192.168.0.X.

Also there are routers that supports USB 3G. By using these routers, you won't need to keep your laptop on all the time to share internet access.

Back